Midway:SE I hope this is untrue.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Oct 30, 2001.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

When Image first released Midway. I was disappointed they did not include the Battle of Coral Sea footage. Which lasts almost 45 minutes. So when they announced that Midway was coming out as an SE with the tv footage. I got very excited. But, someone mentioned that it still does not have this footage. It is just more of Charlton Heston's son and girlfriend. Is this true? And if so, why was this footage left out again?? I guess I am going to have to keep my taped off tv vhs version. [​IMG]

2. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Every description I read of it says it includes the footage from TV about the Coral Sea battle. It is a major last minute change if it doesn't.

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I just received my copy in the mail and haven't looked at it yet. It does show a screen shot on the back cover, along with a list of Special Features. One of them is the TV footage.

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
  5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Just got this one to review. The back of the DVD case says the running time is 2 hours, 12 minutes.
    The Special Features listing mentions "additional network scenes", but does not specify what the footage is. If you like I can give it a spin and let you know what I find.
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    http://www.ofcs.org

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

They did NOT include the Coral Sea Battle scenes. What a shame.

7. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Guess I'm not picking this one up. Was all set to get it too.
    I wonder if the Coral Sea footage was only available in 4:3 and that's why they didn't include it.

8. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Well that makes it a no-buy for me too [​IMG]

9. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Was the Coral Sea footage actually in the original theatrical release or something deleted out of it?

10. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

The Coral Sea battle footage as well as all of the subplot involving Heston and his girlfriend, was all shot long after the original theatrical release for TV showings only. There are a couple glimpses of the Coral Sea footage in the documentary on the film and it's quite evident that none of the extra footage was shot in the theatrical aspect ratio since it's only mildy matted.
    Personally, I would not hold the absence of the Coral Sea footage from the supplements against the DVD in terms of whether one should buy it or not.

11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

12. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I purchased it, mainly cause it is a great war movie! And for nostalgic reasons since my dad took me to see it when I was 6. A great movie with a cast of stars you are unlikely to see again.

13. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I would add that the supplement they do include of the TV shots involving Heston and Susan Sullivan is presented in a TV ratio so there's nothing special about seeing it this way unlike say the TV shots of "Jaws 2" and "Jaws" which are presented in the theatrical ratio. Having an off-air recording of the TV version more than suffices in terms of having the TV footage IMO and Midway I think is just about the only one of the Universal movies with extra shot TV footage that still plays that version on TV today.
    I hope Universal also reclaims some of it's other titles with not so stellar releases from Image and Goodtimes like "Earthquake" the Airport sequels and "Gray Lady Down".

14. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    I've got the first version already. I was going to buy the new version if it had the Coral Sea footage. Since it doesn't, there is no reason for me to buy the latest version.

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

16. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    As i said...

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am almost positive that the Coral Sea footage WAS in the original theatrical release. But, the long running time hurt the movie in the original release. So it was recut.

18. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I watched some of this last night and was pleased. The new anamorphic widescreen transfer looks very good on my widescreen television. I also watched the documentary on the film which was pretty good. There's lots of other goodies that I haven't gotten to yet. Overall, this looks to be a good package from Universal. Not getting access to all of the footage shot for TV presentations seems like a silly reason to me for any fan of this movie not to buy it.
    I'm also looking forward to The Andromeda Strain:SE and hopefully other movies Universal originally licensed to Image. As another person has stated, I would also like to see better versions of the Airport movies, Earthquake, etc. once they get their rights back from Goodtimes.

19. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

20. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

The Coral Sea footage was NOT in the theatrical version. All of that was shot for TV because none of the principal actors in the theatrical version appear in any of the TV scenes, it only sports Mitchell Ryan as Admiral Aubrey Fitch the Coral Sea Task force commander.
    For heaven's sake people, don't boycott the DVD just because of that, the transfer is great and the supplements are terrific too.