What's new

Midway (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
image_jpg_beta.jpeg

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Fair to middlin' movie, but should benefit immensely by a quality Bluray transfer. Fingers crossed.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
DVD special features are transferred but unfortunately this does not include all of the footage shot for the TV version. The supplements give us only the footage related to the added romance subplot of Heston and Susan Sullivan, while the Battle Of Coral Sea sequence was not included.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i guess this will be the theatrical edition. however i remember seeing the film on vhs with the coral sea battle footage.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I hope it has better sound than mono, I remember this having that sensaround sound when my dad took me to the theater to see it,

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
cb1 said:
I hope it has better sound than mono, I remember this having that sensaround sound when my dad took me to the theater to see it,
Yes..SenseSurround! Earthquake, Midway and Rollecoaster all has this vibrating rumble in theaters.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
mikeyhitchfan said:
Yes..SenseSurround! Earthquake, Midway and Rollecoaster all has this vibrating rumble in theaters.
To complete the list:

Krakatoa East of Java (retitled Volcano) 1975 in Feelarama, a variation of Sensurround

Battlestar Galactica 1978 also had Sensurround

Zoot Suit (1981) in Sensurround Plus.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Where is the love for Midway? Thanks for the heads up about The Shadow. Been looking forward to that on disc in OAR for about 15 years.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think "Midway" is a great film when it sticks to the real history. I have always given this movie credit for inspiring me to read more about the battle, especially books like Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory". It was really the last of the old-Hollywood style war movies that could serve as a launching point for the viewer to learn more about the real stories.

Unfortunately, the film gets bogged down by the bad fictional subplot involving Heston's son and his Japanese girlfriend which was little more than an attempt to appease 1970s PC sensitivites about not presenting America as pure and noble even in the just struggle of WW2. And it was also unfortunate that we couldn't have the Japanese characters speaking their own language with subtitles as had been done in "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Those aside, I think it still holds up better than any other film about a WW2 battle since (don't get me started on "Pearl Harbor"!)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jack P said:
I think "Midway" is a great film when it sticks to the real history. I have always given this movie credit for inspiring me to read more about the battle, especially books like Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory". It was really the last of the old-Hollywood style war movies that could serve as a launching point for the viewer to learn more about the real stories.

Unfortunately, the film gets bogged down by the bad fictional subplot involving Heston's son and his Japanese girlfriend which was little more than an attempt to appease 1970s PC sensitivites about not presenting America as pure and noble even in the just struggle of WW2. And it was also unfortunate that we couldn't have the Japanese characters speaking their own language with subtitles as had been done in "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Those aside, I think it still holds up better than any other film about a WW2 battle since (don't get me started on "Pearl Harbor"!)
I would agree with the sentiments about the subplot of Heston's son and the girl. It definitely detracts from the movie. Not sure I will get this movie, primarily because of the boring and unnecessary subplot. The action/battle scenes are great and will undoubtably look great on Bluray, but not sure if they can overcome the subplot, at least for me.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I love Midway. My only issue with it are the times they sub a modern day angled deck carrier for a WW2 era single deck. But hey, it is what it is. At least the planes make real era moves!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
cb1 said:
AFAIK the only Sensurround film (other than Zoot Suit which was Dolby) mixed in stereo is Earthquake.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed the BD of Midway in its entirety and thought it looked very good which was a surprise to me. There are two different English audio tracks on it, but I viewed it with the DTS-HD Master Audio with DTS Digital Surround. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the audio as I was concentrating on the video portion of the presentation while multi-tasking with some work-related tasks. It will interesting to read comments from others about this BD.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
cb1 said:
Originally, Sensurround was just plain old mono with AWESOME bass! :)

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Mark-P said:
Originally, Sensurround was just plain old mono with AWESOME bass! :)
great stuff! being so young at the time all I remember was "COOL"! LOL

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I viewed the BD of Midway in its entirety and thought it looked very good which was a surprise to me.
I am very happy to hear that you were pleased, Robert. I took a chance on it and have it coming in later this week. I saw this film theatrically and I've always enjoyed it. I don't think it is a great film but there is something about it that has always worked for me. Perhaps because it feels like a 'throwback' to old school Hollywood film making which was disappearing when this was made? I'm way behind on my viewing but this is another feature that I might spin up this weekend.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks