What's new

Midnite Movie perfect pairing: Spirits of the Dead (1968)/ The Witches (1967) (1 Viewer)

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
Could this happen? According to imdb, these could be owned by MGM/Sony and they both would make a terrific double-feature!

The former (Tre passi nel delirio, in the original) could be reissued with the proper audio and thus make a small minority VERY happy - the current HVE edition left me and others craving for a future solution. Oh, and a few extras wouldn't hurt either!

The latter (Le Streghe, in the original) because it's also an italian production and because it's long overdue on DVD!

Also, let's not forget that Spirits of the Dead is an omnibus kind of film based on Poe short stories, so there is definitely a reason for being included on the Midnite Movies series, not to mention it already has potential collecting value! I, for one am a big fan of the series and am still patiently waiting for The Conquering Worm and Master of the World to be released, both starring Vincent Price!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well, you answer your own question, Lino: HVE own the rights to Spirits.

I'd love to see Le Streghe on DVD. It wasn't distributed by MGM/UA or Columbia back in the Sixties. Off the top of head, I think AIP had the honor. I can't recall who distributed the VHS (has it had a VHS release?) It's a disappointing film considering the talent involved, but it deserves a DVD release.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
THE WITCHES (the U.S. version of LE STREGHE) I think was released by Embassy Pictures, which makes it a StudioCanal property. Anchor Bay may have reupped their deal with them, at least for their Embassy and EMI titles, so I would try there first.

I think SPIRITS OF THE DEAD is in a weird situation where Home Vision released the original European version of the film - that is, in a foreign language dub with slightly different footage. MGM may not own the movie, but they may still own the AIP cut and/or elements - English dub track, Ray Charles song, etc. Anyone know better?

I just want for once to see "Toby Dammit" as it was intended by Fellini: with Terence Stamp in English and everyone else in unsubtitled dialogue, so that we feel his lost and displaced mentality during his TV appearance.

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
Can you think of other perfect pairings that you'd like to be released?

I can think of some:

Master of the World/War Gods of the Deep

Tales of Terror/Twice Told Tales

The Conqueror Worm/Diary of a Madman

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine/Dr. Goldfoot and the Sex Bombs

(yes, I am a Price completist...;) )

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
The original Image release of Spirits of the Dead is defective in a number of respects, but it does retain the English language track. So I have two copies of this, so I can program my own Perfect Version. :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...I thought I read here that Studio Canal is now under the control of MGM/Sony...

walter o

Supporting Actor
THE WITCHES is under MGM's control now, as it was released by Lopert pictures in the U.S, and all their stuff now belong to MGM, who is been airing re-mastered versions of Lopert titles on cable (like BED SITTING ROOM, THEIF OF PARIS, UP TO HIS EARS, 10:30 PM SUMMER, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks