What's new

Midnight Shows? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, which movie had the first one? I first heard about them with SW Episode I. Others I know about and/or have attended are:

LOTR
SW Episode II
Matrix sequels
Spiderman II

What did I miss?

What movie will have the next one? I can only think of SW Episode III next May (I believe).

--
H

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
You mean films that opened on midnight of their opening day, right? Because there were a heck of a lot of films that had midnight showings before The Phantom Menace. Anyway, as far as midnight openings go, I know it happened for Dick Tracy.

DJ

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Not as far back as Dick Tracy, but I think it happened for Independence Day as well. I remember a story about a few theaters showing it around the clock on the first day.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sometimes I feel like everyone here is about 16 years old. The first I remember was The Empire Strikes Back but I'd bet it was done as far back as Gone with the Wind.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
During World War II, many theatres were open 24 hours a day to accomodate shift workers in the defense plants. I remember seeing ads from the late 20s and 30s with shows after midnight for popular pictures.

Goldfinger and Thunderball both opened in New York City with round-the-clock showings.

It's not a new phenomenon.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes you need to realize that not everyone here grew up in the US.

I never knew it went that far back, I though it was a "geek" phenomenon started by SW ep I which is probably the most highly anticipated movie ever.

--
H

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
The first midnight premiere I ever went to was "Batman Returns".

The first one I remember was "Dick Tracy", where you bought the T-Shirt ahead of time and that was your ticket for the movie.

Galen_V

Second Unit
I went to a midnight screening of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban last month.

Obviously the "queen" of midnight screenings overall is The Rocky Horror Picture Show, although I'm not sure when the first one was (and I doubt it had a midnight premiere).

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure The Lost World was shown around the clock. (12am, 1230am, etc)
I can't remember if Jurassic Park was too.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The first midnight premiere that I went to was Godzilla (ack! what a mistake), but then again...I'm only 22, so my opinion might not count :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I remember Lost World having a midnight premiere, since I went to it and would have preferred an earlier showing if possible - had to make a long drive the next AM.

As for JP, I saw it the Thursday before the official Friday opening and know that it WASN'T a midnight screening. I went on a really bad first date and am positive it was no later than 10 or 11 PM when we got out of the theater.

First midnight showing I recall? Batman in 1989. I'm sure others happened first, though I don't recall any for Empire Strikes Back or Jedi around here (DC-area)...

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Yeah the earliest one I can remember in the 90s/2000s is Dick Tracy, where you also got a t-shirt as a movie ticket for showing up.

This has become a fairly common thing for a lot of entertainment products, like the Titanic and Phantom Menace DVDs I believe were on sale at midnight, along with several video games.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I recall first seeing Star Wars back in August 1977 (about 2 1/2 months after its premiere) at midnight to a packed house with a line wrapped twice around the building. I also saw the 9:30 am showing of Return of the Jedi on opening day because the midnight and 3 am showings were already sold out when I got to the theater at 9 pm the night before.

But like Peter Apruzzese said earlier, it's not a new phenomenon. For example, I seem to recall reading that David O. Selznick's 1947 Hitchcock-directed The Paradine Case not only opened to round-the-clock showings, but that those showings were done in two theaters directly across the street from each other in Westwood Village in Los Angeles (the Fox Village and Fox Bruin, which still see many premieres today).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks