What's new

Midnight Run Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Eric Berger

Agent
As I haven't seen a review, and I was looking for one until I received my copy from DDD yesterday, I'll offer a quick look at the picture quality. (I have a 65-inch mitsubishi, prog. scan Toshiba ...)

In any case, I was impressed with the picture quality for the age of the film, especially the exterior scenes in Texas and Arizona. I thought it could have looked quite a bit worse for a 15-year old film so I was, overall, quite happy with the look.

The extras aren't anything to speak of, but I think most of us were just looking for an anamorphic transfer, and it delivers.

Oh, and the movie is still funny as hell!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Another interesting note-my copy did have an insert, and so did my copy of Opportunity Knocks. I thought Universal abandoned inserts...maybe these have been done for a while?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I can't find this thing anywhere near me! Not at BB, CC or Target. I'll check Wal-Mart, but I doubt it. I recently abandoned shopping on-line due to better release-day prices at local retailers, but in cases like these (re-issues), I may have to bite the bullet and order on-line.:frowning:

Louis C

Supporting Actor
bump

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Anyone else viewed this new OAR release?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally picked up my copy at BB yesterday ($15) and checked out a little bit of it last night. While the opening scene suffers from blemishes and scratches, the rest of it looks pretty good. I say pretty good because the transfer does contain halos, but it is easily the best I've seen the film look and I've seen it a million times as it's one of my favorites. The black levels also look nice and dark. On the audio side, the soundtrack actually sounded quite good...a lot better than I expected. While the effects are lacking the slam of recent releases (shotgun blasts, etc.) due to it's age, the music sounded very clean and brought out subtle details that I have never heard before. This one is an easy recommendation as an upgrade from the previous Image release!:emoji_thumbsup:

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
This transfer is a huge improvement over the previous non-anamorphic DVD. The image is sharp/detailed, but a bit grainy in darker scenes. Didn't notice any artifacts; it helps that there are no real extras & the movie is spread over a dual-layer disc. No Dolby Digital 5.1, but the audio is okay.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Brajesh,

Good point....I did notice some grain during not only darker scenes, but some of the lighter ones as well. Still, it's so much better than the other release, so I'm not complaining!

Louis C

Supporting Actor
The transfer was a bit dark and colors a bit washed out, but it's the best I have seen it. Not sure what film stock was used, but given the budget size needed for all the locations, car crashes, etc, it wouldn't surprise me if they cut corners there.

The movie is fantastic of course.

The music utilizes the surrounds nicely - it is well mixed, but not too agressive.

Now it will soon be time for that other DiNiro classic to arrive in my mailbox...

Once Upon a Time in America

What a great week for DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks