1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Midnight Madness

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_WM, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Midnight Madness. I just watched this last night. It was an entertaining, yet unfulfilling 80's gem (if you will) starring a bunch of no-namers, that geeky kid from Grease, the fat guy from Animal House, and a teenage Michael J. Fox. It was full-frame, but but I kind of fell back to my original VHS roots and ignored it for the time being. All this suffering because my friend said it was a good movie. UGH.

Anyone else seen this?

2. Scott Bell

Scott Bell Stunt Coordinator

Love this movie....a true gem of the 80's

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Yeah, good movie from the 80's, if you like that also pick up Fraternity Vacation

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I did enjoy this film when I saw it so long ago. I considerred buying it on DVD, but it turns out it was Pan & Scan. Nope. Not-gonna-doit.

5. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Here's my review:
    http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1176
    I don't really hold in in high regard as a film, but it is a very fun way to waste time. I enjoy it more each time I see it. I can't explain why.
    THe aspect ratio seems questionable. Since imdb lists no evidence of it playing in theaters, I suspect the OAR may be 1.33:1. It is certainly open matte, not P&S at least.

6. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

Okay, so now Disney is releasing this title themselves in February. Which says...well, something. Especially since they have licensed most of the previous Anchor Bay titles (i.e. Space Camp) to MGM. Maybe it sold especially well for AB, or maybe they realize that there is a nostaligic-dork cult for this thing.

Does anyone who has access to Disney's product database know if this will be released in its original aspect ratio or not?

Jeff

9. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

This is a true guilty pleasure. I saw it on HBO long ago. I was wondering what the hell I was watching but yet couldnt pull away.

Im figuring it is open matte instead of pan and scam. How is the AB dvd if I could find it cheap?

10. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

Well, it looks about the same as it did when I saw it 300 times on HBO in the early 80s. You're correct that it is a open matte transfer. I think I only paid about $10 for it though. If Disney isn't going to pony up for a new anamporphic transfer, I can live with the version I've got.

11. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Disney's deal with MGM only covers movies released under the ABC Motion Pictures label -- any other Disney product that Anchor Bay previously handled (live action, early Touchstone and Miramax titles), such as MIDNIGHT MADNESS, are being taken in-house.

Having seen a rare 35mm presentation of MADNESS this year, I do hope they pony up for a new widescreen master. It looks good in 1.85.