What's new

Midnight Madness (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Midnight Madness. I just watched this last night. It was an entertaining, yet unfulfilling 80's gem (if you will) starring a bunch of no-namers, that geeky kid from Grease, the fat guy from Animal House, and a teenage Michael J. Fox. It was full-frame, but but I kind of fell back to my original VHS roots and ignored it for the time being. All this suffering because my friend said it was a good movie. UGH.

Anyone else seen this?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Yeah, good movie from the 80's, if you like that also pick up Fraternity Vacation

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I did enjoy this film when I saw it so long ago. I considerred buying it on DVD, but it turns out it was Pan & Scan. Nope. Not-gonna-doit.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Here's my review:
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1176
I don't really hold in in high regard as a film, but it is a very fun way to waste time. I enjoy it more each time I see it. I can't explain why.
THe aspect ratio seems questionable. Since imdb lists no evidence of it playing in theaters, I suspect the OAR may be 1.33:1. It is certainly open matte, not P&S at least.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
THe aspect ratio seems questionable. Since imdb lists no evidence of it playing in theaters, I suspect the OAR may be 1.33:1. It is certainly open matte, not P&S at least.
I saw this in the theater on opening day at the Century South Six in San Antonio, Texas in 1980. I remember it well; specifically because I ate a big bag of beef jerky while I watched it...okay I'm a pig!

It was one of the first films released by Disney with a PG rating (after The Black Hole of course) but did not carry the Disney logo theatrically. I want to say it was the first Touchstone release, but I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or not.

Regardless, all promotional materials say it's a Buena Vista Release (the distribution arm for Disney), and the home video version does not even list a studio in the opening credits. The first video versions did not say disney either, but listed BVH on the packaging.

I compared the DVD to an old copy I had from who knows where, and dust and scratches match up, meaning that I beleive they simply recycled the old video master.

Given the no-budget nature of this film, an actual pristine print probably does not exist, nor does a negative. the Ancohor Bay version is probably the best it will ever look, as a clean film print to master from may not even exist.

Off topic a little, this is similar to the case with Lathe of Heaven, where a film print no longer exists. The DVD of LOH had to be mastered video from an archived PBS broadcast tape. Though really lacking in quality, it was the best that could be done, and at least makes this important movie available on home video.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Okay, so now Disney is releasing this title themselves in February. Which says...well, something. Especially since they have licensed most of the previous Anchor Bay titles (i.e. Space Camp) to MGM. Maybe it sold especially well for AB, or maybe they realize that there is a nostaligic-dork cult for this thing.

Does anyone who has access to Disney's product database know if this will be released in its original aspect ratio or not?

Jeff

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
This is a true guilty pleasure. I saw it on HBO long ago. I was wondering what the hell I was watching but yet couldnt pull away.

Im figuring it is open matte instead of pan and scam. How is the AB dvd if I could find it cheap?

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Well, it looks about the same as it did when I saw it 300 times on HBO in the early 80s. You're correct that it is a open matte transfer. I think I only paid about $10 for it though. If Disney isn't going to pony up for a new anamporphic transfer, I can live with the version I've got.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Disney's deal with MGM only covers movies released under the ABC Motion Pictures label -- any other Disney product that Anchor Bay previously handled (live action, early Touchstone and Miramax titles), such as MIDNIGHT MADNESS, are being taken in-house.

Having seen a rare 35mm presentation of MADNESS this year, I do hope they pony up for a new widescreen master. It looks good in 1.85.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks