What's new

Midnight Cowboy Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I had a chance to pick up a copy - first thing on the agenda was to compare it to the original non-anamorphic version. I did come away with the impression that they were comparable in picture quality, I was expecting a very noticable diference but from what I saw it just was not there, sorry to say. Mind you, the extra resolution afforded by this release does help - especially if you were to zoom out the original, which of course would show its limitations. Still, it does look better but only by what I could see as a modest improvement. I was also watching What's Up Doc? soon after and it had a noticably more detailed picture. The 5.1 soundtrack seemed to have more presence so that was an improvement at least. I viewed it on a 90" screen so any shortfalls were easy to see. With that in mind others may have higher praise for this 2 disc edition seeing it on a smaller display. It's worth having for the upgrade to 16X9 enhanced - I just wished Sony had done more with this landmark film. Only just started with the extras and they look promising - I found the first one " After Midnight: Reflecting On The Classic 35 Years Later" documentary quite interesting but have not finished it yet - good interviews with Voight and Hoffman and others. Finally, you also get 7 various still shots from the movie (postcards) - they look to be printed in a sepia tone - a nice addition. The fold out digipack is inside a slipcover which has a shot each of Voight and Hoffman inside and a repeat picture (backside) of the one on the front of the slipcase and a list of both disc contents framed by both actors graces the digipack's front. Packaging is done nicely - some may disagree with my comments when they view their own copy but I was somewhat letdown - but again it is an improvement over the original release.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the early heads up. Shame it doesn't look better but it is an older film and maybe they didn't want to spend the dough?? One of my faves.

:) d

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Well, I wouldn't say it isn't better - the film is cleaner with less dirt, scratches etc. and the colour is more accurate- but I'll leave that to those who know the film more intimately to discuss. Can't say what shape the negative is in of course but if you like the film I would not hesitate to purchase this edition - unless a High Def version is on the horizon and one would rather wait for that. The features have two documentaries and one featurette.

"After Midnight:Reflecting On The Classic 35 Years Later"
runs 30 min.

"Controversy And Acclaim" runs 10 min.

"Celebrating Schlesinger" runs 11 min.

All three well worth watching - the first two, besides Voight and Hoffman also interview Jerome Hellman (producer), Adam Holender (cinematographer) and some other cast members.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks