What's new

Midnight CLub II (1 Viewer)

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering this game, or Burnout 2 or Need for Speed: HP2 as my first car racing game for PS2... I like the arcadey type games (and thus didn't love Gran Turismo when I played a friend's copy a few times...).
Any recommendations as to which would be best?

EdR

Second Unit
Marc,

Here's my thoughts. NFS:HP2 is a really fun game, it's designed to be an all-out, high-speed, outlaw racing fest. The tracks are all clearly designed with speed in mind, and there are enough hidden shortcuts to keep it interesting. the car physics are IMO slightly more realistic than the other two games, but still very much in the arcade realm. The cop-chase aspect is great, if a tad monotonous. The cops completely change the outcome of races often, and you need to listed to your police radio, as they feed you information about upcoming roadblocks, etc. The helicopter provides some of the most insane racing in any game...awesome.

Burnout 2 and MCII both focus on urban racing, where turns are often 90-degrees, as opposed to the sweeping roadcorses of NFS. So while speed is important, anticipating turns and a little bit of strategy come into play.

I'm really not a fan of Burnout 2, especially when compared to MCII, they have similar handling characteristics, but MCII has the edge in gameplay. The non-linear nature of the racing, where many possible routes exist to get to all the checkpoints is a nice plus, it means you have to use your head, read the map well, and figure out the best way to go.

In B2 it's pretty much go fast and dodge cars (unless you're in crash mode, where the goal is to have spectacular crashes), and for me, this kind of game would be much better if the car physics were more realistic to the point where maintaining control of the car at high speed were part of the challenge.

B2 does have nice crash physics, cars parts and sparks fly. But that's not enough to maintain my interest.

Graphically B2 probably looks the best, with sharp textures and crisp vehicles and environments. NFS is close, and in some cases it surpasses B2. MCII looks decent, but doesn't have the big textures of B2, nor the fantasy-land aspects of NFS. To be fair, all of the racing in MCII (that I've seen so far) takes place at night (hence "Midnight")...and I think that provides a graphical challenge. I think it's harder to show off graphically when the environment is dark.

I know a lot of people really like B2, so I'll let them sing it's praises. But for me it comes down to either MCII or NFS. It's a tough choice because they are both fun and very different. If you like high-speed pedal-to-the-metal racing in fast exotic cars, NFS will do you good. If you like something a bit more cerebral, where you have to strategize on the fly, and weave your way through city streets, MCII is proably your best bet.

But honestly, do yourself a favor and get both if you can.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
After playing NFS:HS 2 and Midnight Club II, I really prefer Midnight Club II. NFS, while arcadey, still controls a bit to realistic for me. You have to fight the cars a little to stay on the courses. Its no Gran Turismo, but it tries a bit to be realistic. Midnight Club II is pure arcade racing. The cars feel different, but all handle well and are fast. The feeling of speed is incredible in Midnight Club II, blasting through the city, especially with the nitrous. I also like the non-linear city races in Midnight Club II.

Anyway, if you want an arcade racer, to me, Midnight is better. If I want a realistic racer, I'll grab Gran Turismo 3 again. NFS is a very good game though, but it didn't fit well with what I wanted. If felt like a 'tweener' to me.

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Need for Speed 2 was the best racing game fun for me since Gran Turismo II. GT3 is cool, but not really fun. I want to try Midnight Club II for the Xbox when it comes out, because I like the aspect of playing on Live against others. I guess we'll just have to wait and see... :)

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Thaks Ed and Scott. Really appreciate the insights.
Would you say that Midnight Club 2 "looks" kinda like driving around in Grand Theft Auto (3 or Vice)... I'm certainly looking for a change of pace in terms of what I'm used to looking at while playing... not that any of what I just said makes any sense... ;)

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
My first thought playing Midnight Club II was that it was Vice City, in a bigger environment, with better handling cars. You can hit pedestrians, crash buildings, etc. It has to be the same engine. As far as it being a realistic LA, I have no idea, never having been there. The game definitely has a Vice City feel while driving around, just everything is a little bigger and faster, and maybe without as much traffic.

After reading some reviews of Burnout 2, it looks like a blast as well.

Still, if you have a PS2 online adapter, I think Midnight II is the easy choice, as online will give it a ton of replay value.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Alas, no online (or plans for it) for me...due to shitty CPU.
I'm leaning more and more towards Burnout 2...or Need for Speed.... I should just rent the damn things! ;)

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
What does a shitty cpu have to do with your online plans? A router is more effective then splitting the connection via the computer, if that's what you meant...

I'd be interested in Burnout impressions if you rent it, looks fun.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Burnout is the bomb. My friends and I have put in many hours on a rental. I'm sure to buy it sometime soon. A very good reason to get the Logitech Wheel too.

Sean

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
A month & a half later, and with the Xbox version due next week, what's the longterm verdict on the PS2 version?

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-For Xbox I recently bought Burnout2, Rally Sport and The Xbox Madcatz Wheel. I am planning on getting either Midnight Club 2 or Midtown Madness when they come out. It might be hard to decide,... I hope so :D
-I'm addicted to Burnouts crash mode and Rally Sport is a great deal at $20, I love driving the Beetle on Ice Tracks.
-I'm looking forward to online racing a whole lot, I'll see you boys on the streets!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Glad this thread was resurrected. I got addicted to this game ever since I started winning REAL cars. Once you get the Jersey XS it's all over. :) One thing you notice about the game is that it's LONG and there is a pretty nice learning curve to all the cars. It's not frustrating at all. If you're a fairly good gamer you'll get used to your newly won car quick and each one has to be mastered to pass a certain track. You CAN'T use your fastest car all the time (unlike GT3) and that's what I love about this game, it's nicely balanced. Oh and don't get me started on powersliding, it's sooo much fun once you get it down right!

I got MCII at launch on April 9 and I'm still playing it, just now trying to dethrone the world street champion (plus there are several secret cars to open). I dropped Zelda after I got into this game (*ducks*), then got Enter the Matrix, quickly beat it and now back to racing again. Haven't gotten into the online portion of it yet (don't have the adapter) so I can't comment on that.

So yes, I'd recommend purchasing it for the Xbox. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks