Middle-Eastern Related DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Partovi, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for Middle-eastern related movies and docs. Anything from alexander the great, the crusades, to the current arab-israeli conflict. Anybody have any recommendations?

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Well to start out, there's the greatest film ever made [rant]Lawrence of Arabia[/rant] .
    And in a month or so will be released a reasonably good film called [rant]Exodus[/rant] - DVD out Oct, 15 IIRC.
    A film was made in 1976 called [rant]The Message [/rant] about Mohammed the Prophet - although the title role had to be eliminated due to the blastphemy of a pictoral or audio representation of Mohammed. The film lost its funding and was bailed out and finished with funding from Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi. [​IMG] I haven't seen this film but remember reading about the controversy it stirred.

3. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if you're interested in feature films FROM the mideast, but if you are, you are opening up a whole 'nother can of worms.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If it's documentaries you're interested in, go to a good online retailer—such as DVD Empire—and then click on "Documentaries" and do a search.

5. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

There's also a film called Lion of teh Desert you might want to check out.
    And 'Awrence is a great film. If you haven't seen it, go do so NOW!

6. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

7. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I forgot to add that Children of Heaven is available on DVD (Amazon has it, but I bought an import) but The White Balloon is not. I've only seen it on one of the movie channels (Bravo, I think). Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry and The Wind Will Carry Us are both available on DVD, Cherry on Criterion.

8. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Your description is pretty vague in what you are looking for.
    But check out Not Without My Daughter, based on a true story. Not only is Sally Fields fantastic, but Alfred Molina is a damn fine actor.
    Definitely touches on the cultural differences between the Middle East (Iran in this case) and the U.S. It's not a war movie, and not really propoganda either. Aside from the main story, it does explain some of the cultural differences.
    Oh, 16:9 enhanced too!

9. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help, I'm finding a lot of titles I wanted now. I'm now looking for any War movies centering on the crusades or the arab-israeli situation. Any other suggestions. There doesn't seem to be any about the arab-israeli's or the iran-iraq war.

titles i've seen

El Cid
    Robin Hood: POT
    Courage under fire
    BlackHawk Down
    Three kings

10. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

This is not really a personal recommendation as I have not seen the movie myself, but I have wanted to for a long time:
    Kandahar
    It deals more directly with the people of Afghanistan and their culture, read the reviews I think this might be an interesting movie.