1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle Atlantic Racks - Recommended Accessories & Finishing

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay Mitchosky, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm in the process of ordering a Slim 5 Middle Atlantic rack system for my theater. The variety of accessories for these systems is overwhelming. Interested in recommendations on must-haves and nice-to-haves when constructing one of these racks. It will be a fixed install with the equipment facing into the theater's foyer and media area. The rear of the equipment is accessible from a room behind. It will be the 37 RU size. I'll be ordering the shelves with the custom face plates and the trim kit at a minimum.

Another thing I'm working on is finishing the surrounding area of the rack. It's simply a roughed out area that needs to be covered in a frame of some sort. My preference would be black brushed metal to match the rest of the cabinet and components. What have others done in this regard?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hnmm... I’m only seeing a few options here.

Of those I’d say the cable chase is a must-have, to clean up the wiring. That way the business end of the rack will look all nice and pretty when you post your pictures for us. [​IMG]

Can you give us a link to the other options you were looking at?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Click on “Cable Chase”, right hand side of the page in the link I gave above.

Again, is there a link for the large variety of options you were referring to?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I've got mine built into a wall that backs into my laundry room. Everything's accessible in the back, but it's a rat's nest... Some rainy day soon...

I just ordered the rack rails, and mounted them to spacers, which were in turn mounted to 2x4 wall studs.

Bigger is better than smaller... Figure 1 rack unit for a power strip. Maybe more. Add four for your AVR, and three for your DVD player.

I've got two 4 unit amps and a three unit amp in addition to the other stuff. But now I'm wanting to add in two more 3-space amps, along with graphic equalizers, and probably eventually some electronic crossovers. And when I finish my other two Q15 subs, I'm going to switch from the 2 240 watt plate amps I'm using now to a single QSC or Behringer amp for the subs.

Plan for more space.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Agreed. It's a 37U rack. How have you finished the front edges around the rack face (second part of my question above)? I was hoping to have a black brushed aluminum "frame" surrounding the rack and covering the roughed out opening. Where would I source something like that? Easy solution is to just mitre stained wood casing but I'd rather have the all black metal surround.