mid range home theatre

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andrew K., Dec 22, 2005.

1. Andrew K.

Andrew K. Auditioning

Dec 21, 2005
    I am new to this home theatre website, so Hi everyone.

Well, first off, I want to build a home theatre in my new house. We will be doing quite a bit of "entertaining." I don't really know how much a full room would probably cost so I need your help. This is what the unfinished part of our basement looks like. (sry for doing it in paint, Im on my laptop)

*edit* It seems I cannot post my diagram of my basement until I have 15 posts. I would like to post this but I don't want to spam the forums, could someone help me get this picture on the forums?

We are still not sure where we should build the wall. I was thinking that the best place to put the room would be in the back "left" corner away from the windows. But, my wife likes the idea of not having a wall and leaving it open so you could watch TV while playing pool or whatever. This concerns me because some people have told me that projectors picture quality will decrease when there is more light and the sound quality would be worse because of the size of the room. I believe the ceilings are somewhere between 9 and 10 feet tall.

So now about the money. I was wondering if you guys could give me some estimates for how much a room like this would cost me. I would want this equipment to be somewhat high quality but I do not have the budget of 500k like that other guy.
    thanks for the help
  2. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

Nov 19, 2003
    As you've probably guessed, you can spend as much or as little as you want. Which will be driven by what you want out of your HT. Ultimately you are the one that will be living with your decisions.

That being said, I'd spend the next few weeks, reading everything I could on the subject in this and other forums.

You will eventually have enough information/knowledge on the subject to start formulating what you want out of an HT. Once you get to that point, you'll be able to ask specific questions.

To answer your question about to wall or not to wall up the HT. To that I say welcome to the Wife Acceptance Factor or as some refer to it WAF.

I'm afraid, that more of your decisions will be made based on the WAF then on their technical merits.

As for posting pic's, I think you can start a picture gallery, then put that in your signature and then everyone can watch your progress.

Hope this helps

Oh, and welcome to the forum.