mid-priced model comparison

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by anthony_s, Jan 9, 2004.

1. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

Hi all.
    I am in the market for a new receiver. I have narrowed it down to a few choices. They seem to be pretty even in terms of features and specs/ However I am wondering about the difference in sound each manufacturer may have. What I am looking for is warmth, depth and a balanced overall sound... not too treble-y, not too bass-y.
    Here is what I am considering:
    • Harman Kardon-AVR325
      Yamaha-RXV740
      Denon-AVR2803

These models stretch my budget to the limit, what do you all think of the next model down for each? Such as the RXV640, AVR230 and AVR1803.
    Thanks!!!

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like the Harman/Kardon's, especially there Logic7. I have heard alot of good things about the Yamaha 740 though recently, just the power output doesn't seem to be what it's rated, usually doing about half of what it is said to do.

The Denon would also be another decent choice. For this category I think what your going to want to look at is features such as DSP's and extra surround processing such as Logic7 (which is HK only).

Also another determining factor is the sound, every reciever will sound different, so listen to them all and see which you like the best, take it home and try it, if you don't like it than swap it for a different one.

Good luck.

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Like Chris said,

"every reciever will sound different, so listen to them all and see which you like the best".

Go to your local shop and try to listen to them all through the same speaker setup, hopefully one that is close to what you already own. For a more accurate comparison make sure they are all set to flat, no added treble or bass.

Go ahead and stretch your budget, I don't think you will be disappointerd by going with the level your looking at. That way 'upgradeitis' won't set in so soon.

4. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

anthony_s since the best way to decide is to listen to them with the same speakers, also look at the Sony STR-DA1000ES. You might be pleasantly suprised.

Stelios

5. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

Hmmmm... do you think the quality of the Sony ranks up there with the above three?

6. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

personally I dont, have a look at the pioneer units in your price range. they sound great, have lot's of features and reliable.....unless you break the nice front door off them moving!

7. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

Yeah I have heard good things about Pioneer's 912. It seems vrey nice but I was always under the impression that Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc just don't have the quality sound and build of the HK, Denon, Yamaha, etc.

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

sony does not, pioneer and kenwood have come a very long way. It comes down to if you really want to spend a little bit more for the HK or would you be happy with the features that the kenwood/pioneer has? I was. Im picky aobut the sound of my system, and my pioneer delivers....

9. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

The Sony ES series is a much with the above. Go and listen to one, don't just think or presume that it's not good quality.

Stelios

10. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

For those who doubt the ES quality, put you hand on the top of its enclosure, do the same on a HKAVR230 (similarly priced as the 1000ES). You will feel the difference in terms of rigidity. Also compare the weight, and take a look of the back panel, I do not remember seeing any gold plated connections in the HK, but they are there for the Sony ES and Pioneer Elite models. I am not saying the Sony ES has better sound quality, but its physical build quality is excellent. If you have taken a close look at them recently and still think the ES quality is not up there, then go ahead and ignore them.

11. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Steve, you only pay more for the HK models in Canada. Example, you can get a HKAVR7200 in the U.S. for under USD1000 or CD1300. That's less than the price of a Denon, Sony ES, or Pioneer Elite that offers similar features and "real" power.

12. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

Ok... I went out and listened. I narrowed to the Denon AVR-1804 and Pioneer VSX-D912K.
    I lik ethe additional power, remote and automated setup of the Pioneer.
    To tell the truth I could sense little difference in the sound, I don;t think my ears are that refined.
    I can get the Denon though for about $278 at ecost.com (re-furbished)... the Pioneer for about $300.
    Well... I'm closer but still undecided!

13. ChrisLazarko

HK has one of the best amps I know of, one reason it is usually one of the units that creates alot more heat. In anyway, everyone will like something different.

14. John S

John S Producer

I vote for the Denon myself... I am biased, I like the way their power amps sound best.

15. Will Zog

Will Zog Extra

I just got the Pioneer and set it up, and it's terrific. Big sound (in a very big room), and easy to set up and learn to use. This is my first HT setup, so I have relatively less to compare to, but from my shopping around, it seemed that the Pioneer had more rated power and as many or more features than the HK's & Onkyo's that I looked at, and for slightly less $$.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

On paper, it might show more power. In reality, that's not quite the case.

17. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

So can HK's receiver with 50w/ch really compare with say Denon's with 90w/channel?

18. John S

John S Producer

I think both have enough power for a majority of people.
    I truly like the way Denon amps sound is all.

Also, I do think Denon is the overall more reliable product.

19. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

The Denon certianley seemed better made than the Pioneer. The things that stand out about the Pioneer to me are the automated set up and ... the remote.

20. ChrisLazarko

Anthony, every beginner usually asks about the power ratings. HK in your list is one of the most accurate in terms of how they rate power. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, they aren't exactly honest with ratings and over-rate the amp section for the most part.

Some true results are here and what you can expect to find.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm