Mid Grade SVS, or Low End SVS with center and surrounds.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I am looking to do some more work to my sound system. Right now I have a yamaha RXV-440 and a pair of Boston VR-950's. I am wondering if I should get a Higher end SVS sub like a PB1 Plus and thats it. Or should I get a VR-910 Center channel and VRS surrounds and a 25-31PCi? What would you guys do? If I get just the sub now, I would wait till x-mas and get VRM-C and VRM-X's.

Also in another post I am thinking of partially upgrading my receiver to a krell.

2. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

What size room is the sub for?
    What volume level(s) do you typically listen at?
    Do you have any preference with a cylinder or box?

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

4. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

If you are looking at a Krell, does the couple hundred bucks difference in the price of the 2 different subs really make that much difference?

Neal

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

If you think Im anoying or you are going to be an ass please just ignore my posts. I understand that I have asked alot of questions, thats the way I am. If it bothers you, you do not need to read and respond to my posts.

6. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Well usually in a forum you keep asking questions in the post you already have, that is an etiquette here that you just don't seem to grasp, you clearly have enough posts concerning SVS subs to not start repeats over and over. Oh, well, I'll get over it.

7. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Jesse,

You have gotten a ton of advice in the other 5 or 6 active threads that you have. And your dilemma about what to do hasn't changed, so all your questions could be in one or two threads. A new question does not require a new thread necessarily.

You have been given some good advice, but you are almost to the point where you need to make the decision that best fits your needs. Figure out your budget, decide if you want a cylinder or box sub from SVS (or a sub from someone else for that matter), decide if upgrading your center and surrounds will make that much difference, etc.

Everyone has a different room, a different setup, different hearing capabilities, and different demands from their system. All this forum can do is provide you with information to help your decision, only you can make the decision.

Neal

8. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, you should really chill out, lurk more, use the search function, and not be so combative.

You've started several threads on the same subject, a wholly unnecessary thing to do. Amending a post or posting in the same thread is much more effective in getting a good response.

You are also very rude towards other members. In fact, your attitude and the language of your posts reek of teenager. How old are you, 15, 16? Maybe you should learn some manners before attacking people on a message board.

So as not to COMPLETELY derail this thread, I agree that we need more information. What is your room size, listening habits (i.e., % music vs. movies, volume level), and current setup?

In most cases, I would think that a PCi would fulfill most user's needs.

9. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Not to join in Jesse...

But I have upgraded my entire home theater, picked the brand of speakers I want, the DVD player I want, the Cables I've gotten, upgrade my receiver, and Ordered my SVS Sub...and you still haven't figured out what you want to do...... You also started asking all the questions almost a month before I started looking around...and I'm sitting at home LOVING my new setup. Is there somthing better out there, most definitely, but I'm happy with the amount I spent and what I have gotten for it.

I understand making a decision is a big deal as you want to get the most for your money...but there has to come a point where you have to go for it.

To be honest, I don't think you should buy ANY speakers, you obviously aren't sure what you want to get. Like they have said, this is about the 5th or 6th thread you've started that has asked very very similiar questions. The people here will not steer you wrong here too often. You must understand though that it's all opinions.

If you are worried about getting an SVS, don't be, you have a 45 day return policy...and you are out almost no money for it.

If you are going with a HT set up, then definitely consider getting the Center and surrounds. That's a must!!! Go with the lower end SVS, if you don't like it or want a higher model, then you can sell it later down the road, they have great re-sale value.

I think you need to sit down and prioritize what you want to upgrade, how important is it, how much you want to spend, and the time line you want it all done in.

Then JUST GO FOR IT!!! [​IMG] :wink:

10. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

WayneO - are you keeping tabs on the Sharrow threads? I was trying to find my last post in one of these! [​IMG]