What's new

Mid / Entry-Level (but upgradeable) Receiver...6.1 & DPLII (1 Viewer)

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Well, call me sceptical ,but I'm gonna wait till I hear/see it...experiance has taught me that if it's a coupla hundred less than the 1200 then something's gotta give (the 1200 is to new to chalk it up to the increased production of the chipset)...the thing I'm more curious about wil be the differances between the 630 and 730...I haven't seen a detailed discription of the remotes yet ...Anyone found that little hidden diff between the 1200 and 2200 yet...but it has the same chip, shouldn't it have all the same surround modes?....Go figure...

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Is there any published info on the Pioneer VSX-D811S? I'm getting my dad a new 6.1 and I think it will fit the bill well for the price I want to pay.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry, here is the press release about Pioneer's new line of Recievers:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,21433,00.html
Pioneer Electronics Introduces New, Redesigned A/V Receivers
CES BOOTH #1000 January 07, 2002
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today introduced four new digital audio/video receivers with a host of new features including one of the industry's first to offer Dolby Digital EX. By offering more processing power than ever, these receivers allow consumers to experience the audio effects used in today's music and movies. The new receivers are the VSX-D411, VSX-D511, VSX-D711 and VSX-D811S models, and feature the following key technologies:
Dolby Digital EX™/DTS-ES™ Discrete (VSX-D811S)
Dolby Digital™ and DTS™ decoding
Dolby Pro-Logic II™ and DTS NEO 6
Pioneer's 5-D Expanded Theater (6-D Expanded Theater for VSX-D811S)
Pioneer's Hybrid Thermal compensation circuit amplifier design
5.1 channel inputs (VSX-D711S and VSX-D811S feature 7.1 channel inputs)
Component video switching (VSX-D711 and VSX-D811S)
This new line of A/V receivers offers extremely clean, new, and modern cosmetics, high power and excellent sound performance. The redesigned look and feel of the receivers includes a sleek front-end design, and an easier to read blue/white display. With the combination of great looks and high performance technology, the new line of receivers is poised to stand out from the rest of the industry.
""Our new line of audio/video receivers allows consumers to fully utilize their DVD player's capabilities,"" said Craig McManis, vice president of marketing for home entertainment at Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. ""As the first to offer Dolby's newest sound technology, consumers will now have the ultimate home theatre entertainment experience.""
The VSX-D811S also offers DTS-ES discrete decoding and Pioneer's exclusive 6.1 expanded theater surround processing and 7.1 channel inputs. Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES add sound to the rear center speakers, while left and right surround information is reproduced by the side speakers. The addition of a new surround channel and use of speakers allows true ""fly-over"" and ""fly-around"" effects that are more accurately placed, either directly behind or directly beside the audience. The VSX-D811S includes dual surround back speaker binding posts allowing for a true 7.1 speaker array, providing an optimal surround experience.
All models feature Pioneer's 5-channels of high equal power amplification (VSX-D811S contains 6 channels of amplification) which provides 100-watts of amplifier power to all channels, eliminating the possibility of one channel dominating a particular sound field. All five amplifiers are of discrete configuration and utilize Pioneer's hybrid amplification system to ensure that the correct amount of bias signal is applied to each transistor for very low distortion. Pioneer's amplifiers are designed to handle the full bandwidth of Dolby Digital and DTS encoded software.
The VSX-D411, VSX-D511 and VSX-D711 include Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II and DTS decoding. All models include 5.1 channel inputs to allow for the addition of future 6-channel formats such as DVD-Audio and SACD.
Component and S-video switching are provided in the VSX-D711 and VSX-D811S allowing both progressive and interlaced NTSC and HDTV signals to be passed to the television or monitor. To maintain future compatibility, all of the receivers have multiple, assignable digital inputs (both coaxial and optical). Finally, all new models come with either a standard remote or a preset/learning remote and Quick Setup feature for easy room setup. The Quick setup feature walks the consumer through the process of choosing the number of speakers connected and selecting the room size for very easy and accurate surround sound performance.
Specifications for each receiver are as follows:
VSX-D411
Two assignable digital inputs, three audio, three audio/video inputs, and a subwoofer pre-output
New larger LCD segment display for a brighter easier to read display
VSX-D511 includes all VSX-D411 features and adds the following:
96/24 D/A conversion
S-video in and out
Five channel stereo
Virtual Surround back channel processing to create a virtual six channel surround sound effect from any source
VSX-D711 includes all VSX-D511 features and adds the following:
Component video switching two in / one out
Preset remote for control of non-Pioneer branded TV, VCR, DVD, CD, and cable boxes
Front door design that hides rarely used buttons
Digital inputs, three in and one out. (All assignable)
Audio/Video inputs four audio, four audio/video (tuner included)
S-Video inputs four in and two out
Center channel pre-out
Front panel audio/video inputs
Independent A and B speakers with large banana binding posts
VSX-D811S includes all VSX-D711 features and adds the following:
Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES discrete
Pioneer's exclusive 6.1 expanded theater surround processing
Six-channel amplification and with the addition of surround back speaker(s) creates a much broader ""sweet spot"" and more dynamic rear channel effects
Five digital inputs (All assignable)
Front panel audio/video inputs and optical digital input
All channel pre-outs
Preset and learning remote
The VSX-D411 will be available in May at a suggested retail price of $275.
The VSX-D511 will be available in April at a suggested retail price of $300.
The VSX-D711 will be available in April at a suggested retail price of $365.
The VSX-D811S will be available in April at a suggested retail price of $475.
Pioneer's Home Entertainment Division is the leading manufacturer of plasma and projection televisions, DVD players and DVD recorders, A/V receivers, CD players and CD recorders, speakers and other audio and video accessories. The company markets its products under the Pioneer and Pioneer Elite brand names. Its focus is on the development of new digital technologies including Digital Network Entertainment.
Pioneer Corporation is a leader in optical disc technology and a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and industrial markets. The company focuses on four core business domains including DVD, display technologies, Digital Network Entertainment™ and components. Founded in 1938 in Tokyo, Pioneer Corporation employs more than 31,000 people worldwide. Its shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE:PIO). Pioneer's U.S. headquarters is located in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Wow! Feature-set wise, the 811S looks to be the bargain of the year! If it sounds as good as it looks on paper, Pioneer could be setting the stage for a price war among manufacturers in the mid-entry level market. Very impressive. Thanks for the update, Kelly!

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Well, I just got done setting up my new Harman/Kardon AVR 320 and did some listening. I still need to let the receiver break-in a little bit, but thought I'd post my initial impressions.

I think the AVR 320 is THE cheap receiver that's on the market right now--it'll be in for a scrap once those Sherwoods and Pioneers (and Yammies) come out. For now, I don't think you could spend your money any better. It's possible to get the 320 for $499+shipping right now (I believe J&R will give you this price if you haggle a bit) and I don't think you can spend your money any better. Here are some key features that I really needed/wanted in a receiver that the 320 delivered on:

1. Digital inputs--3 optical, 3 coax (2 can be configured as outputs).

2. DTS-ES discrete and matrix modes.

3. Pre-amp outputs for all channels--the 320 actually has 7.1 outputs.

4. Selectable subwoofer crossover frequency

5. DPLII

6. Component video switching

7. Clean, powerful, detailed and punchy audio reproduction.

Well, other than the component video switching which I don't have the need for yet (I have 2 DVD players and will need it when I add a HD receiver), the 320 fulfills on everything I wanted in spades.

My out-of-the-box impressions of the sound coming from this receiver is that it is absolutely astonishing: powerful, clear, clean and solid. Bass reproduction seems especially well done--my wife has a very low tolerance for muddy, bloated, "boomy" bass and she was very happy with the rock-solid bass.

I will post a more detailed report after more listening, but I just want to say that I love the flexibility that this receiver offers. Individual sources can have their own channel level and surround mode settings, with individual crossover settings for the sub too. The EZset function is also extremely user friendly and pretty accurate too--I only had to adjust it manually by 1db or so.

The one downside I have to report after 2 hours is the cosmetics of this unit. If I hated the way it looked before, I hate it more now. The faceplate is made of plastic which scratches VERY easilty. I didn't do any of the scratching myself--it arrived looking a little scuffed, especially the holes cut out for function buttons which looked pretty crude for something coming from a brand with the heritage of H/K. Still, I'd rather the receiver look bad and sound great. So far, so good...stay tuned for more updates.

Users who are viewing this thread