Microsoft's Official Announcement on Rare

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Iseman, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Link is dead. Goes to a page cannot be displayed message.
    Here is the gist though from another source:

3. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

That's odd it was there a few minutes ago.

4. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

I just noticed that it says they have the rights to Killer Instinct. I thought that it was owned by Nintendo.

An interesting thing is that one of the possible titles mentioned for Rare's next KI game was Brute Force. I just read it on Rare's site a while ago, but all their links are down now too.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What are the chances Rare will be able to put out Xbox games this year? (other than a port of Kameo)

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Five games in two years? Has Rare ever put out games that fast?

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

They just got it backwards -- I'm sure they REALLY meant to say 2 games in 5 years. That's pretty much the typical timeframe for Rare.[​IMG]
    BASELESS SPECULATION: Does anyone else other then me believe that Nintendo won't be making any other consoles? If they would rid themselves of that many franchises there must be something going on. Unless they're planning on using the sale cash for something else...
    Either way, there's a lot less to look forward to on the Cube now -- which especially sucks since I own one.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think Nintendo sat back, noticed they have a LOT more third party support, looked at their acquisition of Retro and Silicon Knights, remembered they have Zelda/Mario/Metroid/etc., and came to the conclusion that Rare wasn't as much of a hot item as they once were.

I hope Rare sees success and makes more good games.

While MS now has KI, that doesn't mean they'll make games from the series. I see PD0, Conker 2, Kameo, Banjo-Kazooie, and another game coming out before KI3 does. Why? I dunno. They should have made KI3 already.

BTW, while Rare makes a lot of good games that could expand the X-Box's market to include younger children, I still don't think 5 games across 2 years will do much. Nintendo is branded with the kiddie image, but the fact that they've got a lot of more mature games coming to the Cube within the next year shows their market is going to be wider than that of the X-Box, regardless of who has Rare.

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I wouldn't look at this super strongly for the Xbox, although they will be putting out some good Xbox games, no doubt. But MS going into the next generation battle (Xbox2) with Rare is going to be great for them. They can launch some really *strong* titles.

15. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

Personally I'm quite pleased about Rare going over to MS. I've thoroughly enjoyed their games in the past and look forward to playing them on Xbox (and even though I could've played them on my Cube, I really like that great big monolith under my tv even more for the simple fact of Dolby Digital). Plus, since MS may be developing game boy advanced games, there is still the possibity of seeing some Rare products in a portable version, which would be cool.

And who knows, with the amount of money that MS has at it's disposal, maybe Rare actually can pump out 5 games in 2 years.

16. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

microsoft is just trying to slowly build up a powerhouse so by xbox 2 it can start on even turf with sony...Kameo is out this SPRING, so that is fast enough
    as far as nintendo goes NOBODY KNOWS. The presidents speech about the 2008 seems convincing, but not a soul on earth has the slightest idea what will happen in the next 3 years to decide if nintendo should make another system or just go 3rd party.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that the only benefit Rare will have from MS is the monetary backing. MS seems to be trying to get more games out of Rare as quickly as possible, something Rare is apparently not used to, so I just hope the games don't end up being bad.

Then again, it's Rare, so they will probably say to MS "well do you want to give us a few more months to make the game better and sell more copies or do you want us to release an incomplete game now?" and they'll get their way. More power to them if they can do that.

The strategy MS and Sony have (preparing for the future) is another thing that Nintendo doesn't agree on; they've said before they're focusing more on making great games now than great hardware in the future. Just thought I'd mention that.

18. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Say, has anyone been to the official Rare site in the past day? They've redesigned it in lieu of the recent announcement (as you can imagine). They also have a promo movie up for download, but I can't get my filthy hands on it. It just won't let me download for some reason.
    Oh... and Perfect Dark 0 on Xbox... YIPPEE!! [​IMG]

19. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

What about RC Pro-Am? [​IMG]

20. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Here's an interesting article about the new partnership between Rare and Microsoft. Of note is this quote from Rare President, Joel Hochberg: