What's new

Microsoft's new console in 2020 aka Project Scarlett (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

Hot on the heels of Sony announcing the PS5...console wars aren't dead yet, it seems. "4 times more powerful than XBox One X", which I own and have been pretty happy with. Both Sony and MS have learned their lessons and using SSDs in their next gen. I have external SSDs for my XB1X and it's a world of difference.

Halo Infinite first confirmed game. 120fps, 8K gaming...allegedly.

Called Project Scarlett. Too bad Ms. Johansson doesn't come with it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I like that MS is coming out of the gate with a focus on gaming for their next console, versus the "entertainment" focus of the Xbox One when it launched. And I'll give them credit for the studios they're buying up, which should shore up their credentials and provide them with a lot of good exclusive content.

But their E3 presentation, if you distill it down to it's basic components, was actually kind of weak. Remove the non-exclusives (like Cyberpunk 2077) and remove the stuff about Scarlett and Halo Infinite (since they will be coming out after next E3) then all you have them talking about is...Gears 5 and Ori 2? Forza DLC with Lego? (That actually looked pretty cool, though.) It seems they learned their lesson from last year, when they had a really poor showing, but it was too late to get much ready for this year.

There was clearly a point like 3-4 years ago where MS completely dropped the ball and they've been working hard to pick it back up. I actually think this bodes extremely well for their next console. This all kind of reminds me of how Sony bungled the PS3 launch but it became the best platform by the end of that generation. The Xbox One will end up being a pretty great system, between the exclusives, Game Pass, and xCloud (assuming it comes to the One), but it's really struggling to get there and set a path for their next thing.

That said...I really think the "console wars" aren't real anymore. I don't think there is a war. I think Sony just kind of dominates. The PS3 ended up outselling the Xbox 360 in their lifetimes, the PS4 has already doubled (or more) the Xbox One's lifetime sales, and nothing about Scarlett or Halo Infinite is going to necessarily be a huge difference from whatever Sony's going to do for the PS5. Xbox will never be a big platform in Japan and it will still have a hard time in Europe. But what's kind of awesome about that is that it pushes MS to do different things. I think their Azure infrastructure is a huge thing, xCloud could be huge with Game Pass (truly a Netflix for games), their work with cross-play/saves has been good for gaming, and they are willing to invest boatloads of cash.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have both, but now the only thing I use the XBox for is poker. However, I still buy Xbox games but play them on the PC, since the Xbox games I was/am interested in are the "play anywhere" type and play better for me on the PC. For games I actually play on the console, I lean toward PS4. I suspect things won't change much me when the new consoles emerge, but I will have to upgrade my Windows machine at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks