What's new

Microsoft's E3 Presentation (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So far Xbox glass looks pretty meh. Tablet controls for games is what I have been predicting the Apple TV would be all about so it's cool to see MS head this route and be cross platform compatible.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Big hits:

Smart Glass.. the demo of Game of Thrones; watching HBO Go on XBOX, and having your WP7.5, Windows8 tablet show "maps" of where the characters are, along with liner notes, pretty cool; using the phone/tablet to create game changes in Kinect devices.. neat stuff

Remote control TV

Kinect+Nike Fitness

Voice command Web browser (IE10)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ah, Sam.. I looked at the HBO Go demo and drooled; if just for that one show; the ability to watch the screen and get updates on other devices as to backstory.. pretty slick. It's remote control interface is nice. So, remote control+extension device+controller is the point of Glass.. not bad. Good tie in for phones/tablets.. and since it's coming to WP7.5, IOS and Android, you can be OK with it Sam ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/321244/microsofts-e3-presentation#post_3934413
You know that works right now on iPad right? I did it last week.

Wow.. you mean Airplay? Yes, I've used Airplay.. uh, it's not comparable. You may have missed that (did you watch the video feed via XBOX or just the engadget?) As you watched on screen on one device and the other device could pause, post, move timelines.. or did you not see that ;) Then again, if you were able to do that last week on your Android/WP7.5 device, I'd be impressed ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, the maps and stuff work right now on the HBO Go app for iPad. Turn it vertical and go.
http://socialtimes.com/hbo-go-for-ipad-offers-maps-and-character-profiles-for-game-of-thrones-season-2_b92858
Cast/crew commentaries with David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, and more
Behind the scenes interviews with the cast and crew
Descriptions of new characters as they come into a scene
Info alerts providing back stories on specific scenes and character relationships
Detailed set photos and concept art from the series design team
Quotes from series that can be shared through social media
A map with key locations pinpointed
A guide to Game of Thrones houses

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes, I've seen that.. but you're saying that the Ipad has a way so you can watch FULL SCREEN on your TV, and you can get map info, other notes, and cause a rewind, fast forward HBOGo, gets stills and then on your tablet digital inserts watching on your TV? Because I certainly haven't seen that function.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The Smartphone stuff is nice. Otherwise, yawn. (The "Complete Guide To Westeros"-feature from the Game of Thrones Blu-Ray, on a Smartphone? Neat.)
Also, most people who care about single-player stopped paying attention to CoD after Modern Warfare 2. The people who play multiplayer don't give a shit. So, who was that gameplay for, exactly?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Honestly the extraneous add ons from one media to another are annoying as hell to me.
Watch a movie. Don't watch a movie, tweet and yell at the GD kinect all at once
And get off my lawn you kids!
Seriously, did nobody notice how annoying all this interactive shit is on BD and nobody over the age of 16 uses it?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/321244/microsofts-e3-presentation#post_3934506
Honestly the extraneous add ons from one media to another are annoying as hell to me.
Watch a movie. Don't watch a movie, tweet and yell at the GD kinect all at once
And get off my lawn you kids!
Seriously, did nobody notice how annoying all this interactive shit is on BD and nobody over the age of 16 uses it?

I think for the most part you're right. For a few things, though, it's actually pretty freaking intresting. I like the idea of integrating it into say, MLB, NBA and NHL.. as they showed.. where I can watch the game and quickly look down and get a breakdown of stats of a player/etc. For some series, it could come in handy.. but that's me. GoT is the only thing really that would draw me quite that way right now (Walking Dead would be another option), but the concept of having it quickly update stat sheets/fantasy leagues in sync with MLB.TV or NBA Season Pass? Potentially too cool. Gamblers dream, actually

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
For all intents and purposes, Crysis 3 may as well be a mission-pack for Crysis 2. Not that this is inherently bad, of course. If they manage to put some Crysis 1 in the Crysis 2 engine, I'd consider it a win.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The SmartGlass idea is neat, but it's an extension of what Apple is doing, what Nintendo announced a year ago they would be doing with the Wii U, and what people kind of assumed Sony would already be doing with the PS Vita and a PS3 linked together. The fact that it works on ANYTHING is a great move on the part of MS, but it's not really all that interesting. Sony already has a music service so at most MS is just catching up on that front. The media stuff is cool, but whenever I see all those things mentioned all I can think about is how many subscription fees I'll need to pay to access it. (Ditto for a lot of the stuff Sony touts, too.)
The Kinect game stuff they announced was mostly neat things that won't go anywhere. Nike+ Kinect? Sounds kind of like Wii Fit and that fad passed already. Cursing at your TV in Fifa to get a penalty? That sounds more like a reason to unplug the Kinect than use it. Dance Central 3? Awesome, but really I haven't played DC2 in a long time (and this coming from a HUGE Harmonix fan). The non-Kinect-focused games were multiplatform (AC3, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider) or were Halo 4 and Gears of War. There's a couple smallerish games that they mentioned but nothing stood out the way a Fez, Bastion, or Braid would.
As far as I'm concerned, as a gamer who bought a gaming system from MS so I could play games, this is another disappointing show. They're probably holding back for the eventual Xbox 360 successor, which is really unfortunate because I don't want to buy more hardware if I don't absolutely need to. I watched the Sony press conference and they are doing a little of everything, too, but it seemed like they wanted to actually highlight games and not non-gaming entertainment. Sure, they brought up the other stuff too, but there's a reason you buy a PS3/Xbox instead of a new DVR and it seems like Sony gets that more than MS.
Oh, and the South Park game looks excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks