What's new

Microsoft Word 2002 users help! (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
When I type a paper with Word 2002, it doesn't show me where, when in "normal view," the page breaks are. This is annoying for a number of reasons (I can't immediately tell how many pages I've written, for one thing).

How do I get it to show the page breaks (the line of small dots that marks when you've filled a standard page)? Word 97 and 2000 never gave me any such problems.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I thought that all versions of Word automatically displayed page breaks.

You should just have to click "view" then "normal". That's the default display method for all versions of Word.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Although this is purely a matter of preference, I refuse to use "normal" mode. The Page Layout mode not only shows the page breaks, but also shows exactly how it will look like when printed out. Maybe it's just me, but being able to see immediately the aesthetics of how the final document will look is far more appealing ... and there is no doubt where the page breaks are. :)
Then again, I'm gaining a lot of respect for OpenOffice, so I probably won't be dealing with any more of Microsoft's office crap soon. :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
last time i tested at a temp agency (about two years ago) i was given an expert rating in ms office. even though i have office 2k02 at home, i haven't used it a whole lot. i'm using 2k at work right now.

anyway...

i don't think word shows page breaks unless you manually insert them. normal pagination is obvious, so there really wouldn't be a need to show the page break symbol.

I can't immediately tell how many pages I've written, for one thing
word also displays how many pages a document is in the lower left-hand corner. it should say something like "page 4, sec 1, 4/5". the 4/5 part tells you what page of how many pages.

if you need a quick snapshot of your work, including layout and formatting, i find print preview (file/print preview) to be invaluable. i use it ALL THE TIME.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I always leave it in Page Layout as well- setting the zoom in the right corner can make it look exactly like Normal mode, only it will display page breaks and footer elements like page numbers.

If you must use normal view for some reason- you can always tell how many pages by looking on the bottom left- it should tell you total pages, and will tell you what page you are currently viewing/editing.

-V

Joel C

Screenwriter
The thing is, it ISN'T telling me which page I am currently editing, or total pages, ect.

Also, when I am working on something and need to make sure it isn't going over onto another page, I can hit enter as many times as I want. As far as Word is concerned, page one will be hundreds of lines long. But switching to "preview" shows that there are multiple blank pages.

I've used Word all my life, I know the page number should appear in the corner. The thing is, it isn't working properly.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Make sure that your Status Bar is displayed.

Tools -> Options -> "View" tab -> "Status Bar" box must be checked.

Joel C

Screenwriter
It was checked, but I un- and re-checked it, and it seems better now. Hopefully it will keep working. Stupid little error, but it was driving me bonkers.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks