What's new

Microsoft windows XP.....I like it! (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Just recieved my new Gateway computer today. My new computer came loaded with windows XP and so far I am very impressed. Windows XP seems to run faster than its earlier versions, while incorporating many user friendly features.

I am by no means a subject matter expert when it comes to computers or windows, so I have much to learn about windows XP. I just wanted to share this with anyone considering upgrading to windows XP. I'll give an update after I have had more time tinker with the new computer.

Greg

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I also like Windows XP. It's very fast and above all, stable!
There are, however, some minor glitches that I hope Microsoft will fix in a future service pack.
It's a shame that WindowBlinds doesn't work very well on XP, it would have been so cool to be able to design your own windows from scratch! :)
The best feature of XP is taskbar grouping, this is so brilliant. For those who don't know, this feature groups all windows from the same program within one taskbar button.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently at work so this may prod on a bit. :) I'm reading HTF from lynx and I am very impresed with the backward compatability with a text based browser. I know lots of you read HTF from text based browsers. :)
I've been using an NT based OS for quite some time now, I'd say almost 4 years and for my own personal use woudl never revert to win98. Isn't it wonderful when explorer takes a nosedive, or something decides it wants to eat up all your ram, that you can just ctrl-alt-del and kill the task? The acceptance of win98's faults has always really amazaed me. I always leave my computer on, and will often get weeks of stable uptime. I even upgraded my current XP from an 11 month old 2000 install!
XP really shines if you have more than one user at home, like most people do. My fiance usually checks her mail on my machien instead of hers, so I jsut set her up an XP user accound and she has hwer own settings in outlook express as well as desktop adn sounds and Word settings. By using fast user switching I can be using the comptuer, she will want me to check her mail, i can WinKEY-L, log on as her, check her mail, and switch back to me in like 10 seconds. You can have multiple users logged on at the same tiem but only one user can use the comptuer. XP Server however will allow someone using win98 to connect to the XP machien as a sperate user through the terminal services client. I want to play around with that when it comes out.
Other notable features of an NT based OS are the added file security of NTFS. Win98 has no actualy acces restrictions, if you can write to the hard drive you can delete everything. NTFS sets up users with rights to files and directories and makes for a more secure machine. Make sure NTFS is the file system if you upgraded to XP, if it comes preinstalled I'd bet NTFS is already enabled.
Lastly, WindowBlinds does work with XP. There is a beta copy of WindowBlinds that does, I've used it. I know the guy that writes it, not from real life but from years of online correspodence via IRC. If you use IRC connect to an efnet server and come to the channel #litestep and ask about it. Someone will eventually help you, but be warned most of us in there are just wasting bandwidth/skin/food.
Well I got lots more to say but I am at work, I suppose I should work.
Jon

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Lastly, WindowBlinds does work with XP.
Yeah it works, but not very well. At least not for me... I can't get WB to keep the settings when I've turned off the machine or logged off.

In addition, the skin format is different for Windows explorer windows and other windows, so buttons and menus will look different (read ugly), depending on the skin.

Finally, why can't it skin the favorites menu? Lame!

If any of these things work for you, please let me know!

Hugh M

Second Unit
XP is very nice and quite stable compared to 98/ME.

I just hope they start fixing the little annoying things. Some of the taskbar bugs and other things related to the start menu and explorer.

also, explorer suck. its horrible, I hope they replace it soon. IMO

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
IMO, everyone who used ME should be eternally grateful to Micro$oft for XP, as WinME ranks among the worst pieces of software ever written. from DAY ONE it had problems with me dragging files from folder to folder, so on day three it left. :) 2000 Professional took its place until this past September, when i got my first advance of XP Pro.
Wow!
XP Pro is easily the best OS to come from M$ thus far. i've run the OS for a little over 5 months now with MAYBE 3 system crashes due to the OS itself. i did have to do a complete wipe/re-install once, but that was due to my wanting to play a 1980's game without using the correct emulators...
long story short, Windows XP Professional is the fastest, most stable OS of all time, and if you don't own this software yet, what are you waiting for?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks