What's new

Microsoft turns up the heat on Game Pass, all first party games included on day 1 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was sarcasm. But seriously, what first party exclusives have they announced for this year? The multiplayer pirate game from Rare? Crackdown 3 has been delayed a bunch and I don't have any idea when it's actually coming out now. No news on the Halo or Gears fronts, though I would be surprised if they didn't announce something for both at E3 (especially since 2017 was a dead year for Xbox, even with the One X launch, and they need 2018 to be bigger).

The Game Pass thing is a good idea and I like that both MS and Sony have something like it. And I think it's a bit in Sony's favor that you didn't need a PlayStation to access PS Now (I know they changed that somewhat, not sure if there are any non-PS devices that can still access it). But I think it says something that MS is offering this incredible value and they're still kind of met with shrugs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FTFA
Sea of Thieves will be the first title available on launch day, March 20th, through the Xbox Games Pass, and that will “follow through with State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, and the rest of our portfolio,” says Spencer. “Not just those games, but our future Halos, our future Gears of War, future Forzas, and other games. Our plan is to launch those to our Game Pass subscribers at the same time they go to retail.”

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So 3 to 5 games, maybe 6?

Honestly, I think the idea of a Game Pass is great, but I think the timing (this many years into the console's lifespan) is weird. People who already own an Xbox One probably have those older games and have already likely made a decision about whether they would want to buy the future ones, meaning MS is either losing money or not gaining any. For people who don't own an Xbox One already, the Game Pass looks like a good deal for getting caught up on old games and being sure you'll get the new ones, but...MS is so far behind in sales because people don't have as much interest in their franchises, meaning they're trying to sell something that people already chose not to buy, except for cheaper.

I think this would be more impactful at the beginning of a console generation as part of Xbox Live (jack the fee up $10/month and you get every 1st party release as it comes out for the whole life of the console). I don't think this is going to really drive much business for them and it might even kill the sales numbers of their future games.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
New games added:
  • Fallout 4

• The Division

• Elder Scrolls Online
New games confirmed for day 1 of release:
  • Crackdown 3

• Halo Infinite

• Gears 5

• Forza Horizon 4

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps (not confirmed)

• Battletoads

• Ashen

• Warhammer Vermintide 2

• Phoenix Point

• Afterparty

• Bomber Crew
Coming Soon:
  • Halo: MCC
Changes to the service:

New FastStart technology meaning you can play the games sooner, like a better version of "ready to start" but more tailored to your preference (i.e prioritise single player over multiplayer etc).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yasssss.
Mike Ybarra ☃️‏Verified account @XboxQwik
One of the biggest asks we’ve had for @XboxGamePass was to allow pre-load (pre-install) so you can download and be ready the second launch happens. It’s available now - and starts with Crackdown 3 on Xbox and Windows.
1f4aa.png
1f44d.png
1f44c.png
1f44a.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken kelley
Recent bookmarks