1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft to pour even more cash into Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelley_B, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

hope it's not to try to bolster Japan. Frankly I don't think throwing more money at it is going to help

3. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I don't see anything in that article that we didn't know already... other than John Connors saying "The fallback position is probably to double down and make it successful."

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Unless that money is going toward bringing out some great exclusives, it'll be money wasted. The software selection is the only thing holding me back from getting an xbox. If they can improve that I'm sold.

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Jeff Kleist

IF they actually managed to buy Sega, Square and Capcom MS would be unstoppable more than likely

7. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

You have to realize that companies like Sega, Square, and Capcom have some self-respect. Being Japanese companies, being bought out by Microsoft would make them the laughing-stock in their home country, effectively limiting their potential market to a million consoles.

8. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I agree japan is a huge market but if they dont want to play the xbox focus on everyone else

capt

9. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Even though they are Japanese companies they still have a bottom line and in the end that is what governs their decisions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in the future Sega was bought out by MS. Sega has a parent company and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they sold Sega to MS.

10. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

correct me if i'm wrong, but splinter cell is not an xbox exclusive, it's just out on the xbox first(much like Dead to Rights). I'm sure the xbox version is the prettiest and best sounding but if I really want the game, I'll just buy it for my cube.

11. Steven M K

Steven M K Auditioning

You are correct Dave, and I couldn't agree more...I am more than content playing Metroid and Resident Evil and wait a couple of months for Splinter Cell.

12. Tino D'Voe

Tino D'Voe Agent

I know many people think that if Microsoft takes over the video game industry that it'll be great. But wait a minute, how the f#$% would that happen? The whole business would be in the hands of a company that can turn out whatever they want, whenever they want. The whole competition between nintendo, sony and MS to one up each other would be gone! Billy Gates will do what he pleases with the whole industry. Personally I think it would suck, and I won't support it.

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I don't think anyone here wants one single Dark Lord to rule the industry. However, it is in our best interest to have MS be successful and be a worthwhile competitor to Sony, who right now is very close to complete domination.

-Dave (who apparently wants numerous Dark Lords to rule the industry)

14. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

15. Jeff Kleist

The game buisness really isn't big enough for 3 players. There's enough room for 1 dominar, and 2 niches. While that can be good it means if you want to play the niche you're screwed for the third parties (assuming you can only afford 1 console)

8-Bit- Nintendo Smash! Sega crawl

16-Bit- Sega stomp NEC, Nintendo Crunch! Happy balance is achieved

32-Bit- Sega wimper, Sony SMASH! Nintendo crawl
    Who cares about Bits anymore- Sony SMASH! Sega crawl and die, MS murmur Nintendo crawl

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. Ted F

Ted F Auditioning

"Which is exactly what we knew beforehand. We all knew they are in for the long haul, and that they had budgeted 2Billion over the next few years.... I'm not ever sure why this is news...

It's not like MS will go belly-up in the next couple of years if they don't turn a profit.... "

That's not exactly what we knew beforehand. The news a few months ago was that MS Corporate was growing impatient at the lack of returns from the Xbox venture. They weren't encouraged that the on-line venture wasn't supposed to turn a profit for another twenty years. They were actually talking about unplugging the Xbox if things didn't pick up. That's why its news. I don't care how much money my company was making, If I were the owner of a company and I decided I was going to make a side venture, but lost quite a bit of money doing so, I don't think I'd be very receptive to a department head coming to my desk with a plan to dump even more money in my losing venture. I might even fire the guy. It doesn't matter how much money a company has. A loss of profits is still a loss of profits, and it shows up in your earnings reports. It sure is easy to talk about blowing money down the crapper when it isn't your own. Or for those that own MSFT stock, it is your own.
    That said, I'm glad they're taking a risk and doing what they're doing.

18. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think we are going to have to see how the sales went after this christmas so everyone can readjust their predictions. MS has been giving the xbox a strung push this season much more than sony so we will see whether the public has warmed up to the box.

I think gamecube is also at a critical point. A nintendo flagship system will never die prematurely in the US because of their loyal following but it is possible it might not catch on with the mainstream and therefore be labeled a failure.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Ted F

Ted F Auditioning

Didn't Nintendo's main development team split in order to produce twice as many games? Hence Wario World and Zelda within a month of each other?