What's new

Microsoft to Micro-Manage your computer (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I will continue to build my own PC, thanks anyway Microsoft.

Hmmm now where did I put my "Linux for Dummies" book?

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Thank goodness for Mac OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, many different Linux distributions (Debian is my favorite). And there's even plan9 (from Bell labs). ...And those are just the more well known ones.

I haven't boot Windows on my home machine for about 2 years, and as soon as I have the time I will be reclaiming wasted hard drive space!

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
:laugh: What? Was this article written by Red Hat's CEO or something?? I'm far from the world's strongest MS supporter, but what an imbalanced tabloid editorial this is! :laugh: :laugh:

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
The Register frequently gets things wrong, and doesn't do full research on their articles. They did one on my site before and it was about 90% inaccurate - they didn't even bother to contact me to verify any of the information.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Linux is my friend. The only time I ever booted into Windows was to run ProntoEdit for my Philips Pronto, but now thanks to Stewart Allen, there is a free Pronto editing tool called Tonto available for lots of different OSes including Linux. (The tool is available at http://giantlaser.com/tonto/.)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Those who don't understand Digital Rights Management (DRM) should head on over to slashdot.org and lookup some of the articles they've posted.

DRM will (supposedly) make it impossible for you to copy basically anything. Want to rip a CD into MP3 format, or move some MP3s from one computer to another? Too bad. DRM won't let you.

"But", you say, "I bought this CD. It's mine. I want to put the MP3s on my portable MP3 player to listen to while jogging." Too bad! DRM says "Nope."

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I made the switch to Linux a few months ago after reading the EULA for a WMP security patch. The EULA pretty much stated if I installed the patch that Microsoft would have root access to my PC and could install whatever they felt like installing. That was the last straw. I wiped my drive and installed Mandrake 8.2. Haven't looked back since.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've used Linux and Macs for years, but I still primarily use Windows due to (mostly non-mainstream) software that I use that simply is not available for other platforms yet.
However, I will NEVER install an OS that has DRM. I will never run it, I will never use it.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ditto! Plus I will continue to use W2K, so as to keep Micro$oft from telling when & where I'm allowed to use my OS.
Jeff - you & me both. Win2k is the last version I will ever use. Linux runs my servers, and when Win2k becomes too old and obsolete to use anymore, I'm going to have to get used to Linux on my workstation, too.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Win2k is the last version I will ever use
You guys are 2 years ahead of me; I've got WIN98 on 4 computers, and I'm perfectly happy. I have no intentions of changing the OS to "new & improved". (I even have 1 stand alone computer at work that runs on DOS 6.2) :b

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
(I even have 1 stand alone computer at work that runs on DOS 6.2) :b
Hey, don't blush. DOS is still a 100% viable operating system. I have an older machine with it, too, because there are some older games that can still stand against newer games. Unfortunately, I need a TRUE DOS environment to run them, and I need a CPU slowdown utility. Runnig such tools under a system like Windows is asking for trouble, so what better way to play that in its native environment!

And no matter what anyone says about functionality, there is no reason why Win XP with Office is any more or less usable than MS Office 4.3 under Windows 3.1. Except for the Y2K incompatibility, it freakin' SCREAMS even on a 266 MHz machine!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Isn't DRM about (the fear of) stealing music? Are you denying that some perhaps small but certainly not insignificant number of people do in fact steal music? Some of them might even use Apples.

My point is that instead of some draconian DRM, Apple has a simple, subtle (maybe too subtle) reminder. I have no idea whether it has any effect, but someone is thinking about it.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks