Microsoft - They impressed me today.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Fudold, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold Stunt Coordinator

Oct 6, 1998
    I was pleasantly surprised today by Microsoft. I received the beta kit about a month ago, and my NFL Fever disc was defective. I have since fixed it by boiling it last week [​IMG]
    Anyway, I called and reported it as bad, they said I'd get a new one in a few days. It was 3 weeks later, and still no Fever. I called again... well, today in the mail, I received a FULL version, retail packaged game. Single player, network, and all. I was very impressed with their resolve.
    It makes me wonder if maybe NFL Fever is going to be the game they include with the Live kit now. Since Re-volt is no longer the pack in. I saw it for $29.99 this week, and then got it for free... so, perhaps they will include it.
  2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Jan 5, 2000
    It wouldn't make much sense to include a game that's been out for awhile already. What about all the people that have already bought it?
  3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Apr 29, 2000

pitchman Screenwriter

Aug 11, 1998
    Tom, the same thing happened to me. Even after I boiled my NFL Fever disc, it worked for a bit but then stopped. I called and 2 days later, a copy of the full retail version was at me door.
    Interestingly, while researching "disc boiling" on the Xbox Live forum, I stumbled upon a message from someone named Boid who is an Xbox MVP (Microsoft Most Valuable Professional program.) He indicated that the Xbox Live beta titles will expire on 11/14/02. Microsoft will send out replacement copies of the retail starter discs to all beta testers by that date (there is mention of Re-volt, BTW.) Here's his post:
    Hello everybody. I imagine most of you don't know me very well - I hang out in the public newsgroup and I'm an Xbox MVP (and a beta tester, obviously). So what, you say? Well, it ain't no big deal, but the MVP thing does give me more or less direct access to technical people inside Microsoft.
    I recently asked about the expiring demos, and this is what I was told (this will be in the beta FAQ soon, or so I am told):
    Q: What will the pack-in titles be for the retail Xbox Live kit?
    A: The Xbox Live starter kit will come with demo versions of MotoGP and Whacked!
    Q: Will Xbox Live beta participants receive the retail versions of the MotoGP and Whacked! demos before Xbox Live launches on 11/15?
    A: Yes. The retail Xbox Live starter disc will be sent to beta participants. These discs will be delivered to beta participants by
    11/14. [No shipping costs for beta testers, either. -Boid]
    Q: Will the beta titles be "shut off" on 11/15?
    A: Yes, the beta versions will be shut off on November 14. Beta users can continue playing on Live with retail copies of the MotoGP and Whacked! demos they will receive by 11/14.
    Q: Will I need to buy a new Live-enabled version of MotoGP to play it on Xbox Live?
    A: No. You will be able to use the MotoGP demo included with the Xbox Live starter kit to play on Xbox Live. If you also own the full retail version of MotoGP, you will be able to use all of the tracks, custom riders and other features from the full version with MotoGP on Xbox Live.
    Q: Will THQ be releasing a new, Live-enabled version of MotoGP for Xbox?
    A: No. The demo of MotoGP that is included with the Xbox Live starter kit is effectively the Live-enabled version of the game. If you also own the full retail version of the game, you will be able to use all of the tracks, custom riders and other features from the full version with Xbox Live.
    Q: Is the full version of Whacked! included with the Xbox Live starter kit?
    A: No. The Xbox Live starter kit includes a special demo version of Whacked!. You can still play online with other users who have the full version, but you will not have all of the same levels and features from the full version available to you in the demo.
    If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] You can also visit the Unofficial Xbox FAQ at, and you can see pictures from my recent trip to Xbox HQ at
    Boid is an Xbox MVP, as if you care.
    Unofficial Xbox FAQ: