1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft starts playing hardball

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Mar 18, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-861947.html
    Ya know...no one had a problem in the past with Sony and playstations. And I bet Microsoft was there then also. But now that Microsoft has a competing product they whine till they get their way. Company fighting like this really annoys me.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

oh...E3 is gonna be fun. Sony will strike back.

I used to go to CES when gaming companies were there and amused by the creativity of the practical jokes played upon the competition. -especially "attacks" on the parties.

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Microsoft's behavior reminds me of a frightened animal backed into a corner. What are they so scared of [​IMG]

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

5. Masood Ali

What can be more shady than doing something and denying you did it?

6. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

I don't see anything wrong with what Microsoft (allegedly) did. If the rules said that they weren't allowed to let the public play the games then clearly Sony is wrong for doing that and MS had a legitimate complaint. If the tables were reversed the headline would say 'Microsoft Stoops To a New Low'.
    [​IMG]

7. Masood Ali

Hahaha, c'mon, it wasn't an enforced rule because people enjoyed being able to play games while attending the convention, and the convention officials didn't mind. Microsoft could have joined in, and nobody would have objected either (this option would be more beneficial to the public). Instead, MS chose the option more detrimental to the public, which was having Sony remove their machines.

Any action which reduces the amount of fun the public can have is bad, in my book. Maybe MS didn't think the public would be impressed by their demos?

And "if the rules were reversed", Sony would be the ones sucking the fun out of the convention.

8. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Funny that the ZDNet story doesn't include this quote from the BBC-

9. Masood Ali

While browsing the BBC website, I ran across reader impressions of the Xbox. Check them out here.

10. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Damned if most of those 'quotes' did not sound like they came from the same person [​IMG] I am sure this is not the case, but it seemes that every other person on that list was a skeptic.. and I saw the quote "look what happened to the Dreamcast" VERY often. Still, you can't be supprised if people do not come out in droves, because the Xbox is just so damn expensive over there in Europe.
    Oh, thanks for the Link Masood [​IMG]
    On the topic of this thread, it is kind of sad that people would complain over something so petty as having playable game systems... it seems like a silly rule to have in the first place. I don't know who, or how many parties complained about Sony, but they probably felt that Sony was getting special treatment in some way. Maybe that is the case, but it seems like a silly point to complain about.

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I look at what happened to the Dreamcast, and then I remember that I've had more gaming fun out of my Dreamcast than I ever did with my Playstation. Sure, its a disappointment that the machine is getting few to no new games less than three years after it launched, and Sega haven't done very well financially out of it, but if the X-Box gets as many great games as it did then it won't be a bad investment. Halo and JSRF are a pretty impressive start to that.

12. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

So let me get this straight, there is a technology show that expressly prohibits playable video games, Sony sets up 27 playable video games anyway, a bunch of exhibitors complain, including Microsoft, and now the perception is that MS is "whiny" and "acting like a cornered animal"?
    Wow.
    Here's another quote from the same story on Gamespot:

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

14. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

If no one minded in the past, why did the organizers receive complaints from "many, many exhibitors", including MS, this year? I suppose Bill Gates paid everyone off?
    I think you are letting your perception of MS distort your view of the story, but hey, it's a very small story and I'm not gonna fight you to the death over it. [​IMG]

15. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

16. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer