Microsoft Sending email patches?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone else getting these? IF so, are they legit?

I never open email file attachments, but these take forever to download on a dialup modem...

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
When I opened my Outlook Express Thursday I had 4-5 overnite emails, several with attachments. Then my Norton 2002 antivirus program told me it had found and "deleted" something fishy/dangerous (didnt use the term "virus").

One of these msgs is titled Microsoft Security Update and reads seemingly OK inside. However, I didnt open the attachment and now have trashed that email without linking.

I rely and use an automatic MS Update utility in my newly installed Win2000 OS, post-registration, that legitimately tells me and will install latest security updates. It works by sending a click-me bug on the lower taskbar.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I never open email file attachments, but these take forever to download on a dialup modem...
In a different thread, MailWasher was recommended for dealing with SPAM. It might help you, since it only downloads the email headers to let you preview their contents and decide whether to delete them. Previewing and deleting those large emails might be much faster for you than having to download them before deleting them.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I have tried Mailwasher, it's pretty good, but I am staying with epromter (downloadable from CNet), as it's free, has both native Yahoo and Hotmail support (I think Mailwasher only has native Hotmail, and that's not in the free version, and I think the free version only supports 1 account). I've been using eprompter to scan mail headings (I have Yahoo, Hotmail and 3 other POP accounts) for years and am happy with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Steve -- thanks for the comments on eprompter. I'm looking for ways to deal with my increasing amounts of SPAM. I'm going to stick with Mailwasher for now and see if the filtering and SPAM-bounce features help me out. Does eprompter have any filtering features (in case MW doesn't prove effective)?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
When I opened my Outlook Express Thursday I had 4-5 overnite emails, several with attachments. Then my Norton 2002 antivirus program told me it had found and "deleted" something fishy/dangerous (didnt use the term "virus").
It sounds like one of the Redesi worms, they distribute themselves out as "Microsoft updates".

Norton 2002/2003 will announce that an "infection" was found in the email, if the scanner picks up something while downloading email (rather than saying "virus").

KJP

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Dave, eprompter does not have filtering per se, it is an old time mail screening program (it's been around for may be 4-5 years). In it's basic form, it just reads and lists mail headers off your web mail (such as Hotmail and Yahoo) and POP (but leave mail on the server). You can also read the content and reply if you so desire. It becomes a useful tool because it does not ever load the mail into your system, it does not do attachments, execute any VB stuff, so all you see when you read the mail (if you choose) is the text and HTML links.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Any binaries coming unsolicited to your mailbox should be viewed with extreme scepticism. Most likely you are looking at a virus or a backdoor program.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vikesfan1963