Microsoft Sending email patches?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Apr 5, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Anyone else getting these? IF so, are they legit?

I never open email file attachments, but these take forever to download on a dialup modem...

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    No, these are not legit and are usually containing viruses.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

When I opened my Outlook Express Thursday I had 4-5 overnite emails, several with attachments. Then my Norton 2002 antivirus program told me it had found and "deleted" something fishy/dangerous (didnt use the term "virus").

One of these msgs is titled Microsoft Security Update and reads seemingly OK inside. However, I didnt open the attachment and now have trashed that email without linking.

I rely and use an automatic MS Update utility in my newly installed Win2000 OS, post-registration, that legitimately tells me and will install latest security updates. It works by sending a click-me bug on the lower taskbar.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I have tried Mailwasher, it's pretty good, but I am staying with epromter (downloadable from CNet), as it's free, has both native Yahoo and Hotmail support (I think Mailwasher only has native Hotmail, and that's not in the free version, and I think the free version only supports 1 account). I've been using eprompter to scan mail headings (I have Yahoo, Hotmail and 3 other POP accounts) for years and am happy with it.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Steve -- thanks for the comments on eprompter. I'm looking for ways to deal with my increasing amounts of SPAM. I'm going to stick with Mailwasher for now and see if the filtering and SPAM-bounce features help me out. Does eprompter have any filtering features (in case MW doesn't prove effective)?

7. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Dave, eprompter does not have filtering per se, it is an old time mail screening program (it's been around for may be 4-5 years). In it's basic form, it just reads and lists mail headers off your web mail (such as Hotmail and Yahoo) and POP (but leave mail on the server). You can also read the content and reply if you so desire. It becomes a useful tool because it does not ever load the mail into your system, it does not do attachments, execute any VB stuff, so all you see when you read the mail (if you choose) is the text and HTML links.

9. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

Neil:

here is a link to the MS Security web site describing what you are getting and they NEVER would send you an email re: an update (unless you have subscribed to their security update email list) take a peek!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...patch_hoax.asp

10. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Any binaries coming unsolicited to your mailbox should be viewed with extreme scepticism. Most likely you are looking at a virus or a backdoor program.