Microsoft promotes ATI as nVidia Xbox2 replacement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kami, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Found this today...
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7204

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I hope they use ATi in their next console. ATi is the current king of consumer graphics cards with their 9700 Pro, their All-In-Wonder series of cards have been highly regarded since their inception, and they have made high quality DVD playback a priority for the last few years.

Microsoft is looking to position the next Xbox as a console/PVR, and ATi's technology in that area is more promising than Nvidia's.

Besides, I think what they did for the Gamecube was simply amazing from a design/cost-effectiveness standpoint.

4. Michael St. Clair

As long as backwards compatibility is no problem, I say go with ATi.

5. Joel Mack

6. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

7. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

8. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

ATi did purchase ArtX, which had a lot to do with the development of the Flipper graphics chip, and can only be viewed as an incredible asset for ATi to possess.

As far as the issue about drivers...it's completely moot. Driver issues don't occur in the realm of console gaming. Unlike developing drivers for a PC, which comes in infinite hardware configurations, infinite software variations, and must be compatible with various game APIs, game engines, etc., developing a graphics chip for console use is a relative cakewalk.

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

10. Joel Mack

Since ATI has a storied history of using specially cooked-up drivers for benchmarking purposes, it wouldn't surprise me that nVidia's "real" numbers for the GeForceFX would fall below theirs.

But I'll stop my usual anti-ATI rant here, as everyone's already heard it before...

Sorry...

11. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

The only reason I like ATI is that they come out with a good card and it forces nVidia to come out with a better one. I personally stick with nVidia and yes, I too think the next generation nVidia's will kill the 9700. I've found te ATI's seemed to be geared more towards video editing and other functionality while nVidia sticks to making a killer gaming graphics card, IMO.

12. James T

James T Screenwriter

Didn't MS want ATI for the original Xbox? I thought they were considering it after there was a fee discrepency with Nvidia?