What's new

Microsoft Outlook ? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Was cleaning up my deleted mail and inbox. I apparently hit the perfect storm of keys.

All email is now displayed in this ridiculous, teeny tiny microscopic font. It's like a size four on the font scale. Shutdown, rebooted, etc. Nothing works. Can't figure out how to restore it back to normal. Help? Any assistance would be wonderful.

It has also invaded any web page I open. Driving me crazy.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not sure what OS you are using, but you could try this:

CTRL +(plus) Zoom In

CTRL + (minus) Zoom Out
CTRL + mouse scroll wheel

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Rodney said:
Not sure what OS you are using, but you could try this:

CTRL +(plus) Zoom In

CTRL + (minus) Zoom Out
CTRL + mouse scroll wheel
Thanks. I did the CTRL + mouse scross wheel. It's more of a zoom in command, still have lost the Hi Def resolution, looks like a cheap VGA screen, but at least it's readable. Using an old putt-putt Vista system a friend gave me after my laptop had numerous hardware failures, but it does run, I just have to be patient. Start it up and come back about 30 minutes later, very sad.

Microsoft puts out a lot of terrible software, Vista is definitely on the list.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Stan said:
Thanks. I did the CTRL + mouse scross wheel. It's more of a zoom in command, still have lost the Hi Def resolution, looks like a cheap VGA screen, but at least it's readable. Using an old putt-putt Vista system a friend gave me after my laptop had numerous hardware failures, but it does run, I just have to be patient. Start it up and come back about 30 minutes later, very sad.

Microsoft puts out a lot of terrible software, Vista is definitely on the list.
Hi Stan!

Thirty minutes for your Vista system to warm up? I'd be tempted to throw that thing out the window! ;)

In all seriousness though, perhaps you might try going into display settings (Or whatever the Vista equivalent of that is?), and readjust the Screen Resolution, as I suspect that may be the culprit, in your case.

Good luck!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Stan!

Thirty minutes for your Vista system to warm up? I'd be tempted to throw that thing out the window! ;)

In all seriousness though, perhaps you might try going into display settings (Or whatever the Vista equivalent of that is?), and readjust the Screen Resolution, as I suspect that may be the culprit, in your case.

Good luck!

Tony
I've tried adjusting the screen settings, makes it even worse. Everything squishes up into that tall skinny look like you're showing a Cinemascope film through a flat lens (I was a projectionist for many years, so easiest way for me to describe it). I'm about ready to toss it, drives me crazy. The only reason I keep it is after my laptop died for the third time, went back to an old PC that surprisingly still worked, but it can't do video, no Wi-Fi and really sucks with today's high graphic, ad/video heavy web pages. I'm about to the point where I'm going to dump everything into the recycle bin and get something new.

And good luck getting my printer to run. When I first got the HP, got a really nice printer as part of the package, installed easily with no problems. After the first hard drive failure, had to re-install, but guess what, no HP driver to be found, it was gone from their web-site. Took me hours to finally get it running, found a different driver, but had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get it to work, and of course all the HP utilities to print test pages, purge and clean the print heads, etc. were no longer available.

Prices have changed a lot. My very high-end HP cost me $1500 just a few years ago. Now you can get really nice setups in the $500 range, so it's upgrade time.

Definitely avoiding HP, I will never spend a penny with that company again. I had an old Toshipa laptop from 2006, worked great, and I shared my neighbors Wi-Fi connection. The HP, which you would think would function even better, had such a cheapo receiver I could no longer connect to the Wi-Fi, for which I paid half the bill. Never again.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Stan said:
I've tried adjusting the screen settings, makes it even worse. Everything squishes up into that tall skinny look like you're showing a Cinemascope film through a flat lens (I was a projectionist for many years, so easiest way for me to describe it). I'm about ready to toss it, drives me crazy. The only reason I keep it is after my laptop died for the third time, went back to an old PC that surprisingly still worked, but it can't do video, no Wi-Fi and really sucks with today's high graphic, ad/video heavy web pages. I'm about to the point where I'm going to dump everything into the recycle bin and get something new.

And good luck getting my printer to run. When I first got the HP, got a really nice printer as part of the package, installed easily with no problems. After the first hard drive failure, had to re-install, but guess what, no HP driver to be found, it was gone from their web-site. Took me hours to finally get it running, found a different driver, but had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get it to work, and of course all the HP utilities to print test pages, purge and clean the print heads, etc. were no longer available.

Prices have changed a lot. My very high-end HP cost me $1500 just a few years ago. Now you can get really nice setups in the $500 range, so it's upgrade time.

Definitely avoiding HP, I will never spend a penny with that company again. I had an old Toshipa laptop from 2006, worked great, and I shared my neighbors Wi-Fi connection. The HP, which you would think would function even better, had such a cheapo receiver I could no longer connect to the Wi-Fi, for which I paid half the bill. Never again.
Hi Stan!

Based on what I've heard and read about HP PCs and the Vista OS, I tend to agree that an upgrade would be best, in your case!

Tony

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Vista really sucks. Now I know why it never really became popular.

I've run Microsoft systems for years, networks and '100s of PCs, clear back to "Windows for Workgroups", NT, many versiona of server Operating Systems, Exchange, IIS, SQL, etc.

Vista has most of the same basic functionality of a standard PC OS, but you can't find anything, like a simple "Disk Defrag" or "Disk cleanup" or other simple utilities or upgrades. It's like it was their attempt to make things more "user friendly", but a major failure.

Upgrades coming up and I'm unloading this piece of crap.

Thanks Tony

Sorry about the tiny font, I thought I had that fixed, but time to try again. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Stan,

If you were inside a message, is it possible that you changed the "zoom" setting there? (Open an e-mail, on the ribbon of the message tab the most-right button says "zoom"; if you click that, it should show "100%").

Another possibility is a change of the default font. Here's the suggestion given by Mcrosoft:

To restore the font to the default setting of 11-point Calibri, do the following:

1. Click the File tab.

2. Click Options.

3. Click Mail.

4. Under Compose messages, click Stationery and Fonts.

5. On the Personal Stationery tab, under New mail messages, click Font.

6. On the Font tab, under Font, click the entry +Body.

7. Under Font style, click Regular.

8. Under Size, click 11.

9. Click OK on the Font, the Signatures and Stationery, and the Outlook Options dialog boxes.

Another place to look i​s under "View" on the Menu Bar of Internet Explorer. It has a "zoom" (should be 100%) and a "Text size" (should be Medium).

I'm not totally sure if these settings also go outside the program itself, but apparently that's what you are experiencing.

Good luck finding the culprit!

Cees

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I finally downloaded Google Chrome, still not 100% right, but a heck of a lot better than IE from Microsoft. Still needs a little fine tuning, but things are working much better.

When I get a new laptop next spring, I'm going to do everything possible to avoid Microsoft products. Might be a bit of a learning curve, but I'm done with them. Probably 25 years of working with their products, but we, the consumers were the testers. We'd use the systems, find the bugs, then they'd put out a patch, then a service pack, another service pack, etc.

They put out the occasional decent stuff, but also a lot of crap. No more for me.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Stan - I finally reached my boiling point a couple years ago and abandoned all things Microsoft for a Macbook Pro. Best laptop decision I have ever made. My wife also grew disgusted with her Dell laptop always having problems and switched to a Macbook Pro then scaled down to a Macbook Air. Not a single problem since.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Clinton McClure said:
Stan - I finally reached my boiling point a couple years ago and abandoned all things Microsoft for a Macbook Pro. Best laptop decision I have ever made. My wife also grew disgusted with her Dell laptop always having problems and switched to a Macbook Pro then scaled down to a Macbook Air. Not a single problem since.
I think I'll join you and dump all things Microsoft related. Google Chrome is easily ten times faster than IE. Can't believe I didn't switch years ago. Been doing a little research on Macbook Pro and it looks like a far better system to upgrade to. Probably a bit of a learning curve, but I think it will be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks