Microsoft Office 2003 - Student & Teacher version

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I was just wondering if there is any actual difference between the student/teacher edition of this and the standard version.

And what sort of student? (does the fact that my daughter is in high school qualify?)

Thanks,

Jon

2. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

IIRC, the Student and Teacher version is functionally identical and purchase and use by any student or teacher fulfills the term of the license. The difference is you can legally install this version on several computers in the home (5 I think) and it does not qualify to be upgraded by a future version, you will have to buy Office 2005 or whatever the next version is if you want it.

3. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

The only programs I can see your daughter needing would be "Word", "Excel", and maybe "Powerpoint". I'm sure all those come in pretty much any version of Office.

Jonny K.

4. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

If I recall correctly the price of the Student & Teacher version is also cheaper then the Standard Retail version.

5. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I have looked into this before as well. I noticed the disclaimer that it is not upgradeable, but when a newer version comes out, couldn't I just buy the Teacher/Student version? (assuming there's either a teacher or student still in the family, and with my wife being a teacher and my daughter only 3, I imagine there will be [​IMG] )

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Academic versions of software are identical to the full versions, though typically you do not get the paper help manuals (but they're on the CD(s) in electronic form) - you basically just get the instillation CD(s).

I haven't found a better place to buy academic software than: www.journeyed.com

That's a poor assumption. When I was in HS 4 years ago students used programs like Photoshop and Pagemaker as well as music composition software like finale.

7. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Well photoshop and pagemaker aren't part of Office! The other apps in office are Access (database work) and Outlook (time and e-mail management) which aren't really high school things.

In my highschool we also used photoshop, illustrator, etc - but students didn't need to OWN the software! It was all provided. To expect students to buy $1,000 pieces of software for school is crazy.

Jonny K.

8. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    The Adobe Creative Suite education edition includes full versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, and Acrobat Pro, all for $400 -- that's a whopping $800 below retail.

I had an older version of Office that we replaced with the Student/Teacher edition this fall when my wife went back to school for her master's. The only thing you miss out on is the upgrade factor, but the Student/Teacher edition costs less than the upgrades.

9. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

It's also important to note that how often do you really need to upgrade office? Does word processor technology really change that rapidly? I'm still using Office 97! [​IMG]

Jonny K.

10. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Jonny K,

Misread your post - thought you were making a general comment about high schoolers and software.

Heh. I use WordPerfect for word processing because I can't stand how primitive MS word is. MS Access has gotten better of the years, so if you use that, it might be worth getting the latest version.

11. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Of course, there's also "Open Office". It's totally free, (mostly) compatible with MS Office, and should do most tasks equally well! How sweet is that?

http://www.openoffice.org/

Jonny K. [​IMG]

12. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

So, is there any sort of verification process by which you have to prove you are eligible?

I'm still using Office 97 as well and, in truth, it suits my needs just fine.

But it ain't the latest and the greatest anymore. [​IMG]

I'll probably just stick with what I've got.

Jon

13. JohnPop

JohnPop Stunt Coordinator

There is no verification process. I am a student, and I went to get it at Fry's Electronics. I just picked it off the shelve and took it to the register to buy. They rung it up and I was off. Obviously they could see that I was a student, so you may need to steal a kid off the street if you dont have one...

Purchasing this if you are not a student is almost as bad a fine and jail as downloading the thing from the Internet...

14. Don_Goreham

Don_Goreham Agent

You may want to have your wife check with her district's Technology dept. or at your county's office of education. Through my district I can get windows XP for around $60 and Office 2003 for, if I recall correctly $91 dollars.

they are completely functional and the only difference is that they come with the County offices label printed on them.

Later,

Don

15. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

up my way you have to show them your student ID card which is issued by the school; I have one now in college and I had one when I was in highschool and when I was in junior high (since 7th grade basically).

educational versions of our stuff is identical, even in the same box. . . there's just a big sticker with "EDUCATIONAL VERSION" slapped on top.