What's new

Microsoft may buy Take-Two interactive! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I said in another thread that buying exclusivity for a game or two is one thing, but buying out a whole company is just too much.
What's your opinion of what Sony did with Square? Edit: Ok I read your opinion in another thread. But I'm sure developing across consoles keeps them alive as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ryan-

I think its wrong for Sony to have bought so much stock from Square, but since its keeping them alive and Sony doesn't actually own them, its better than having Sony buy them out. As long as Sony doesn't make Square release games only on PS2 or Sony products, then its OK.

So pretty much as long as Sony doesn't use this to make Square into a second party developer, then its OK. Otherwise, I don't like it.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Fair enough, but I think it'll basically turn out that way. I doubt we'll see any Square games on another system other than PS2.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well FFXI is coming to PC, and there were rumors of games on X-Box, like another Chrono game or even FFXI, but I don't think it'll happen, which is sad. I would love to see Square develop for everyone out there.

I remember they wanted to develop for GameBoy Advance and Nintendo wouldn't let them...what a shame.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo wouldn't let them? I find that hard to believe...

"No, please don't develop a best selling game for our system that will make us a whole pile of money...please no!"

I do remember reading about cross-platform ff 11 though-except that I think that will be the death of Final Fantasy. Come on-PlayOnline? Never going to fly.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo wouldn't let them? I find that hard to believe...
They wouldn't grant them a licence for GBA development. The President of Nintendo is a bit of a 'law unto himself' & holds a grudge from SquareSoft choosing to not develop on the N64.

Negotiations are still, allegedly, 'going on'. But at this time, Nintendo have not given Squaresoft a licence for GBA development, despite Square making it quite clear they want to.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I think the big thing about the GBA/Square thing is Nintendo is probably sticking hard with the fact that if you make games for GBA, you must make games for GameCube. Can you imagine what would happen to GameCube sales in Japan if Square announced that they were making games for the Cube.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't think FFXI will kill Square, at least I hope not. They have other stuff to keep them afloat, so I think they will come out OK.

Square was developing FF7 for Nintendo 64, but cancelled because they needed more space for storage. When they found out what the PSX could do, they went for it, and Nintendo has been pissed ever since.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
I know I am jumping in late but what about what EA did to the Dreamcast. Exclusivity sux let the hardware determine what console to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks