Microsoft Kill Switch? - Can Someone EVER create a FREE OS and make it as popular?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Aug 15, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84

This is the most disturbing MS news I've heard in a long while. I hate that stuff that FORCES an install on YOUR system, and you can't remove it. What's next, Microsoft yearly subscriptions in the hundreds of dollars?

Has anyone been activley working on a FREE OS that is composed of the best customer ideas every year as updates? After this report, I'm really looking into Linux, and what applications will and won't work.

So, a question. If we where seriously considernig the anti- Microsoft OS, that would either be absolutley free, or cheaper than hell at under $50's, with NO limits on system installs, no screen saves you can't remove, and all that other fun stuff, what would it look like? Would it take more than a month to program, and a year to test? If Microsoft tries to block other companies from supporting it with their power, could the OS work itself around that by working itself to be compatible with the most popular products?

Opinions?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yes.

I think you're seriously misunderstanding the amount of effort it takes to design & program an operating system. Linux has thousands upon thousands of man-hours invested into it, for example.

If you seriously hate MS so much, switch to Linux. Deal with the pain of the switch over. It's the only way to make yourself MS free.

By the way, that blog is a month & half old, with two updates since then. Here's the latest story... http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=113.

By the way, why should Microsoft support pirated copies of its software? By all means, their WGA system is far from perfect & will generate 'false positives', but fundamentally, why should MS support pirated software?

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yep, I'm looking into it, but there's so MANY versions of linux to choose from, wich one is the best one to use and supports the most applications, or are there no differences between the versions?

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Be careful what you wish for. If Linux (or whatever other 'free' OS) were as popular as Windows is now, it would then be the target of all those hackers out there who focus on Windows.

The result would be an OS just as hacked and vulnerable as Windows. I don't believe Windows is inherently any more unstable or worse than any other OS. It's just the fact that because Windows is so popular it is under constant attack. Let's see Linux or Mac OS withstand the same barrage of hackers that Windows does. Or let's see how many complaints there would be if Linux was installed on average Joe's PC.

Windows doesn't have the problems it does because it's a bad product. It has the problems it does because of it's popularity. And I don't think any other product could withstand what's dished out at Windows any better.

5. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I have to agree that Microsoft shouldn't have to support pirated copies of their OS and if they devise a system that lets them kill off a pirated copy more power to them.

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Unix was written in about a week by a guy who was too lazy to build a cross-compiler. Of course, it was heavily based on an existing system he was a programer for! and it's had a lot of additions over the years by other programmers, to provide functions which weren't in the original. The Java programming language was written in about a week, too, as a demonstration, which is why the early versions were so messed up and we're now at version 2.something.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Are you sure about your history there, Christopher, particularly on Unix? It was based on Multics, but to say it was knocked together in a week is a bit of a generalisation from what I know.

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

First, they have to accurately determine whether a product is indeed "pirated."

It's just one more point of failure.

9. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Some for profit linux flavors are getting more and more user-friendly. And if it keeps up its progress, dare I say MacOS?
    If you check out www.distrowatch.com, you will see the most popular linux flavors out there...

10. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
  11. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    This doesn't bother me. I've always paid for the latest version of Windows from the cheapest place online. I've never had a problem from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 ro Windows 98 to Window 98SE to Windows XP. If it gets too expensive and turns problematic I'll move on to something else. I've never tried Linux since XP works so darn good right now. I won't put up with a lot of crap though. *frowns and points finger at Bill*

12. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

If you want to try linux, grab knoppix, it boots fully off the cd. Also makes a great recovery disc as well.

Ubuntu is one of the more popular distrobutions, it installs easily and "just works."

I personally use Gentoo, if your looking to learn a lot about linux fast it's a good distro for that.

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

One can always say "the (censored) with PC's!" and then buy a Mac with Mac OS X. Of course, you'll just wind up paying Apple instead of Microsoft, and for both the hardware and the software. That may still be more palatable than where Microsoft is going, though.

There are precious few things you really need Windows for though, these days. I for one could cover all my computing needs with Linux, or better yet, something like Nexenta - based on OpenSolaris with a graphical environment that is every bit as nice as that of any Linux (and OpenSolaris is superior to Linux in quite a few ways.)

The one glaring thing that I can't do with a non-Microsoft OS is one of the main reasons I have higher performing computer at home - games. You can play a number of games under Linux if you fork over money for Cedega but thus far the hassle factor has been too high for me to have the energy to do it. After working 10+ hours a day with servers at work, the enthusiasm for messing with Cedega just isn't there...

Games are coded for Windows and in Windows they (usually) work with fairly little fuss, which is why I'm still running it at home.

14. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I think it highly unlikely that MS would implement the 'kill switch'. The bad press would be unimaginable for them because we all know it won't be just pirated copies that would be affected. Quite a few legitimate users have been caught out by WGA so far.

MS would be far more interested in applying some kind of 'nagware' to gradually coerce people into buying legitimate licenses. Plus the fact there'd be a hack doing the rounds within a week of that thing being released.

I've got a legit XP but only on my primary machine. I'm not paying the same again for my secondary system and my laptop. If they'd introduce a fair licensing system for multiple-PC home users I'd be buying it, but no way at their current prices. I'm not saying it's right, it's just how it is.

That said, I wouldn't be that bothered if they did invoke a kill installer. Whatever, I'll just sell up and go to Mac and be done with MS forever.

I keep trying Linux but I still think it has a very, very long way to go before it's usable by your average Joe/Jo. Everything just seems to be a ballache with little in the way of joined-up thinking. Quite frankly I'm more interested in using the PC for my photo work rather than geeking out on the kind of stuff you have to go through with *nix.

15. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Ahh, but I don't really care about games [​IMG]. I used to be a big CD game player, but I got tired of using the keyboard for an interface back in 1995 or so, and just kept on playing console games.

All I really need to have work is adobe audition 1.5, Dreamweaver MX, Photoshop CS2, Fusion HDTV 5, and ATI X1900, + my Xi-Fi card. If all those things worked, I'd be happy untill MS gets booted for a more user friendly option in registration, uninstilation, and what not.

16. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

It looks to me like your stuck with windows. I have dreamweaver MX working with wine on my computer but have never had any luck with photoshop CS2 (7 works fine). Also, last I heard the X-fi cards are unsuppported in linux as well with creative taking their time about working up a driver.

You can hunt around for alternatives to see if they are good enough, your probably going to have to settle for less on a couple of them if you did switch.

17. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

And with luck, none of those will have turned out to be counterfeit.

18. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Apple sells a home site-licence for $50 more. The difference? You get a addendum to the license. I'm not sure if it's available for intel macs, though.

I have several macs, and although some of them are rarely used, the network is just easier to administer if I know that they're all running the same thing.

19. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    total bullshit, because i already know the answer. my parents, who cannot figure out how to operate a dvd player without help, use linux. they update it themselves and everything. not exactly power users, but they can figure it out. and guess what? i've not had a single call for help since i wiped out windows xp from their computer. it never locked up, and never got infected with a virus or spyware. more than i could say about their xp installation, which was adequately protected from viruses and spyware, and had monthly infections. my parents prefer linux because it just works.

CJ

20. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Who pissed in your Wheaties?

Uh-huh. And I know that smoking doesn't cause cancer because a friend of mine smoked all his life and didn't get lung cancer. [​IMG]