What's new

Microsoft Is Teh Funy (1 Viewer)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
If you feel that way than be happy in knowing that the Sony Network Adapter will be in stores tommorrow morning where you (and myself cause I will be there 10am sharp to get mines) can pick it up with Socom and play online to your hurts content.
That would be kind of difficult since I have an X-Box and not a PS2. :p)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
That would be kind of difficult since I have an X-Box and not a PS2.
Good for you. I have all four current next-gen consoles myself. Being that we both have an Xbox I suppose we have no choice but to wait until November then huh?:p) (unless of course you are lucky enough to be in the beta).
I will be glad to hand you your butt in Unreal Chamionship though when it goes live:D

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
The fact that I am already bitter over the repeated delays of X-Box Live and the fact that MS has once again been pipped to the post by Sony has admittedly drained my sense of humor regarding the whole "online wars" thing.
Lets see, PS2 has been out for two years and is now going on-line. X-box will be out for one year and will be on-line. I don't think Sony pipped anyone to the post. If I remember correctly Sony was supposed to have the PS2 on-line almost a year ago.
I found the joke funny and I am patient enough to wait to take my X-box "live" in November, oops, I meant September. ;)
I don't really see many games I'll be playing on-line with my PS2 or my Gamecube, but I know of several I'll be playing on-line with my X-box and my PC. :)
-Dean-

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
As soon as I saw the 'kit', I had to laugh. It reminded me of the old days during the last full on real 'war' between Sega and Sony when they constantly went at each other. Back when you had Sega parachuting in someone in a Sonic outfit onto a golf course where Sony management was playing a round, and the above mentioned Crash and Nintendo.

People - it's good that these companies have some sense of humor and play with each other. It's healthy! I'd rather have three companies that joke like this than spew vile at each other.

Of course, the fans tend to take care of the vile.

I wonder if there's a correlation of those who laugh along with this to how long they've been *really* gaming.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Lets see, PS2 has been out for two years and is now going on-line. X-box will be out for one year and will be on-line. I don't think Sony pipped anyone to the post. If I remember correctly Sony was supposed to have the PS2 on-line almost a year ago.
Problem is that online support was a key selling point of the X-Box. Sony put the network adaptor on the box IIRC but didn't make a big deal out of it until fairly recently. As for "I don't think Sony pipped anyone to the post," Sony's network adaptor is out and Microsoft's isn't. It's not that complicated.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
For crying out loud, those of you that find no humor in "the kit" have some issues. Is the anti-Microsoft sentiment so strong that people blindly codemn anthing that MS does? The joke is funny and cute, but there are many, many other atrocities in this world being committed as I type that should be upsetting people more than an ad campaign against almight Sony. Fuck Sony, I'm not going to feel sorry that their network runs on narrowband technology, and the fact that it is being singled out for a joke. They are a corporate giant, who will make billions regardless of any ad campaign directed against them.

I had a PS2, for about a year. Sold it and bought the Xbox. Am I bitter that the PS2 is online first? Hell no. I'm patient and will wait.

I have never regretted my decision either. The Xbox is a fantastic gaming machine. Peace to everyone, enjoy what system you own, fanboyism is for dweebs.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Who has the better online plan again, eh? In all likelyhood, they're both going to be fine, neither one is going to catch on with the mainstream consumers, and people like us are going to be using both.

But that's not the point. If the question is "Is the joke funny?" then my answer would have to be "No". It's just not great humour, IMO. Now those Crash commercials, those were funny.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Personally, the joke is pretty funny. All I want to know is, what the hell does "teh funy" mean? :confused:
Another poor speller, or is it some "way cool" usenet speak? :rolleyes

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The joke is funny and cute, but there are many, many other atrocities in this world being committed as I type that should be upsetting people more than an ad campaign against almight Sony.
You're right. Everybody stop playing video games and volunteer at the soup kitchen, how can you care about something as silly as SOCOM or a new Sam and Max game when there are starving people in the world?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
People - it's good that these companies have some sense of humor and play with each other. It's healthy! I'd rather have three companies that joke like this than spew vile at each other
I wholeheartedly agree, but MS is making fun of other people's stuff without anything to back it up with. They're saying "HAHA! You're stuff is dumb!" without saying "And our stuff is cool!" They said the GameCube is a purple purse for kids without realizing that some of the most popular game series' of all time will be on it within a year. They make fun of the PS2 network adapter, but I played SOCOM today at a friend's house and can tell you it was AMAZINGLY FUN. MS hasn't launched their online stuff yet, so they have nothing to back up their jokes with.

If MS had a fat guy in a plumbing suit being shot up by the guys from Halo, I'd laugh because they'd be saying "we're better than you" instead of "you're stupid." That's why I don't think this is funny.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I feel it's appropriate to point out that you could technically play the XBOX online since day one even if it wasn't an officially supported feature ;)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
They're saying "HAHA! You're stuff is dumb!" without saying "And our stuff is cool!"
Actually, they are, if you'd take off your MS-hating glasses for two fucking seconds and look at the article.

The Customer Service Request form cleverly advertises everything about Xbox Live that the PS2 online experience lacks. Sorry it's too subtle for you...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Sony's network adaptor is out and Microsoft's isn't. It's not that complicated.
X-box Live launches on November 15th. All you have to do is wait. Its not that complicated.
No amount of bitterness and argument will get you there any quicker my friend.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Thanks for the rolling eyes in regards to my correlation supposition.

To flesh out what I was saying is, in terms of how long someone has been gaming, is just that. If you were gaming back in the early 90's after super nintendo and as both Sega and Sony started in on the next generation of consoles, you had tons and tons of ads from each company going against the others products. Slams left and right, often done with just the right amount of tongue in cheek that each side could laugh at both sets of ads.

If you started gaming later, when there was really only Sony dominating the field and some people playing N64, you never saw what was going on before with the rivalries and the way it all played out.

So, if you lived through the first round of this, in regards to my wondering about a correlation, people from that console war generation may laugh at it more than those who lived only through Sony ruling the world.

Or, frankly, it could be an age thing. Older fans have mellowed out about the whole console debate and can find humor in it. Younger fans are still generally very single-console oriented.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
For what its worth, I've been playing Halo on-line since last year. :)
BTW, Joel is far from being a fanboy, but there are a couple of others here that can be labled that. ;)
-Dean-

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I thought the original link was awfully funny, but I am finding some of the member reactions to it even better. :laugh:
Keep it up, zealots! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Jean-Michel being a long time member of this forum (and someone who spent quite allot of time playing online with Joel...PSO LIVES!)I can tell you that Joel is one of the most console agnostic people here. How about we keep the discussion semi-mature and avoid the unecessary name calling.
Sorry, but Joel's post certainly had all the marks of a fanboy post, moreso, I think, than anything I've said -- vulgarity (asking him to "fucking read" the article, as opposed to the boring old-fashioned non-fucking kind of reading), name-calling (accusations of stupidity), and an overall posture of extreme defensiveness (certainly most of my posts here have been "defensive," but not in the fanboy sense of defending any particular system).

Of course this is all speculation. Maybe Joel doesn't even own an X-Box. Maybe he really is, as you suggest, a totally detached observer, who just likes to swear and hurl personal insults -- you don't have to be a fanboy to enjoy that, and really now, who doesn't like to do that once every now and then? But the Uniformed Poster (that is, anyone not intimately or even vaguely familiar with his posting history, which upon examination would presumably give up deep and illuminating clues regarding specific system/company loyalties, or perhaps the lack thereof) would be forgiven for not gravitating towards these particular conclusions and instead levelling the far simpler charge of "fanboyism." If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then it's kind of silly to get indignant when somebody decides that it really is a duck, unless of course you're talking about actual honest-to-god ducks, in which case it would be okay to attack somebody for reaching that conclusion since the fact that the duck talks should be a dead giveaway that it isn't really a duck. So I guess that's the moral of this whole sad episode: ducks don't talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks