Microsoft IE7 Beta 2 Public Preview

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ken Chui, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Has anyone had a chance to install / play around with this preview build? Impressions?

(Here's the link to the download page)

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Ok I installed it and like the changes from Beta 1.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

No, because it kills the previous version making comparisons rather difficult.

I use Firefox anyway.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I will give it a shot.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

So it doesn't create a separate program/folder for IE7B2 but overwrites your existing IE? If so, I'll wait for more word before DL'ing it.

Looked at the product tour, and boy, is this ever a case of "Hello, and welcome to LAST WEEK!" [​IMG] Tabbed browsing! Ooh...if only every other browser on my PC didn't already have it, I'd be impressed...

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'll be interested once it goes live proper simply because our clients at work will be requiring it at some point.

As for the beta, I wont touch it. Lots of reports coming in of instabilities, issues with internet banking sites and even a reported security problem already.

Install it on your primary system at your peril.

7. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

This would be problematic for me (though I could use Firefox in its place). Looks like I'll be holding off on the install for now.

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Like? Have any links to sites reporting this?

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

10. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Thanks. That's all I could come up with too, incompatibilities rather than security issues.

I understand it's a beta and Microsoft isn't encouraging the general public to download and use this.

I am running it now and haven't encountered any problems yet. I also didn't have any incompatibilites with any banking sites.

Overall, I like the new release. The only thing I'm having trouble getting used to is the 'favorites' icon all the way at the left. I'm so used to the 'favorites' menu link in IE6. I know that menu can be added, but I'll give the new way a chance to grow on me first.

The 'tabs' are no big deal. The concept is OK, but really, what's the difference of having the tabbed windows versus multiple IEs running? Either way, I click to go to the different 'window'. I know FireFox and others have had them for quite a while, but now that I see them in IE, I'm wondering wtbfd?

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Bryan, the tabs really come into their own when used with Mouse Gestures in Firefox (or Opera). It's also just handy being able to minimise or maximise the entire browsing application in one click rather than click, click, click, ad nauseum.

You have a forum page such as on HTF links to loads of threads you want to read though. In FF I can click with the middle button on the mouse on every link and each page will load on a seperate tab. Takes a couple of seconds. Another middle-click on the tab closes it, with the next one appearing in it's place. It makes reading of multiple pages or sites in one sitting much easier and more comfortable. A similar task in IE wouldn't be possible without either right-clicking on every link and selecting Open in New Window, or hitting Shift on every one. Even then, you'd still have manually go through the task bar.

12. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Just tried it with IE7. Nice. I didn't realize the middle button did that. Thanks for the tip.

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Nor did I in IE! LOL. Must be another innovative feature from Redmond...

14. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Rob Gillespie,

Actually, if you're running MySoft Technology's Maxthon "shell" program for Internet Explorer 5.0 or later, you can get more or less Firefox-like functionality. I use Maxthon as my primary web browser and love the program. [​IMG]

15. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

But why would I want to run a shell for a browser that had tons of security problems and is the number 1 target for malware when I can run a browser that is safe?

16. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Rob,

For a couple of reasons:

1. Firefox--while a good and pretty secure browser--has a VERY bad habit of hogging more and more memory the longer you use it. I hate that. [​IMG] I hope the Mozilla Foundation folks address the memory leak issue with the next major release (Firefox 2.0, due some time this coming Summer).

2. Maxthon--unlike Internet Explorer--has the built-in AD Hunter feature that can be configured to stop things like online ads, popups, popunders, Flash animation ads, and even errant ActiveX objects. That's why it's my primary web browser. [​IMG]

17. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    But it still has the security flaws inherent to IE (and Outlook for that matter)...

-Christian

18. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

True, but I'd rather close the browser every so often and load it up again rather than risking getting whacked by something nasty! [​IMG]

19. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Well, I like the new 'anti-phishing' feature in IE7. Although I'm very careful not to follow links in emails, the addition of this to the browser is nice.

I received an email from 'PayPal' [​IMG] asking me to update my information with them so I thought it would be a good opportunity to test the new feature in IE7.

I clicked on the link in the email, the page came up, then a second later the page disapeared and was replaced by a warning by the browser telling me that the page wasn't a legitimate PayPal site and was a Phishing site and asked me if I wanted to close the browser window (which it recommended).

20. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Cool stuff Bryan to here that this features works. Thunderbird does a good job of telling you that a link in an email is suspicious too.

Now if there was a way to track down the originators of the emails and take them off the net that would be a great feature.