What's new

microsoft fixes our xbox-early adapters take note (1 Viewer)

peter rustin

Agent
hi campers--our xbox, bought in 12/01, started to give us dirty disc errors. i called microsoft (1-800-4my-xbox) and they agreed to fix it, for free. within a day, a free mailer box appeared; i packaged the xbox up, sent it back by airborne express, and within 2 more days, it was back.

then, it started to show a red warning light. same drill--picked up on a friday, back on thursday.

so--even if you think your box is out of warranty, looks like microsoft has quietly extended the warranty of xboxes. about time someone Did The Right Thing...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I might have to take MS up on this. I have 8 games so far on my Xbox which is also born on 12/01 and I just got FIFA 2003 and am getting a TON of DDEs on it. I've already exchanged it once to no avail. None of the other 7 games do this, except for Morrowind, which is a known software problem. I've only ever had 1 DDE which was in Splinter Cell but that has only happened once.

I shall call them soon!

Jay

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Our PS2 started having problems in September of 2002 and we bought it on launch day. Even so, Sony still fixed it for free. Why? Because it wasn't my fault it broke (I didn't use GameShark, open it up, use third-party products, etc.). I assume MS does the same thing (and if not, they should so they can stay in competition with Sony).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody who has had success with MS with getting them to fix or replace their Xbox, can you tell me what you told them to get them to do this? I too have a 12/01 mfg'ed Xbox but the person I got on the 1-800 number would not budge an inch about fixing my Xbox at all. Something about not wanting to lose his job, blah blah blah...

If anybody can tell me who you spoke to and/or what you said I can perhaps get somebody who will help me. I've had my Xbox for a year, not used too much and I keep it and the games in absolute pristine shape.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

DavidAM

Second Unit
I haven't sent mine back yet, but when I called I just told them I was getting lots of dirty disk errors, the games were freezing and I could hear the cd drive making all kinds of noise. The guy took my serial #, put me on hold to check it out and came back and said I was still covered. They sent me a box which i have hear now and will be sending my machine back tomorrow. Just call back and get someone else on the phone. I can't remember the name of the guy that answered for me, sorry.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Strike two! I called again, got a lady this time, but the same spiel.. At least she got my serial number but there must be some internal memo saying XX serial numbers can get a free replacement. The first dolt I talked too was rude and ignorent.

Too bad somebody didn't start a serial number database so we might interpret which ones are getting silently recalled...

Mine was manufacturers 12-12-01, anybody get a recalled Xbox with a later MFG date?

Jay

David Glenn

Second Unit
there must be some internal memo saying XX serial numbers can get a free replacement
Jay H,

Your theory may be correct.

FYI - I got the free repair. My xbox has a mfg. date of 10/17/01. It was an early preorder from amazon.com which probably was some of the first machines produced.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Did you guys register your Xboxes? Perhaps they are looking up the registration date via the serial number.

-Dave

DavidAM

Second Unit
Same with me...I had never registered before I called. The guy made me register over the phone. They even give you a 3 month warranty after they fix it with the option to buy a one year extended warranty. I sent my box back on monday at 5PM, so we'll so how quick the turnaround is.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Another success story here, I bought mine near launch and they took it back for free just recently. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks