Microsoft enters the DVD world

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Morrow, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

I was over at slashdot and they referred me to a very interesting article at the EETimes. Combine this with the studios interest in VOD services and you've got something that could be quite powerful. Progressive/Hi-Def video streaming online with 24-bit 5.1 audio support(though they didn't say if it was Dolby/DTS/Sony or some new 5.1 format that they made up). It's interesting that they're also looking at hitting the DVD market to remove the MPEG-2 format currently being used. Rumor has it that thier new codec, called Corona, is based off the begining of MPEG-4. Be afraid, be very afraid.

2. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Great, the studios would love to switch to an all PPV model. What better company to do it with than Microsoft. This is the same company that is trying to put software on Pay Per Use model with .net and the one that wants to be behind every internet transaction with passport.

I don't care how high the quality and compresion ratio of their new codec is. Movie consumers are better off without Microsoft as part of the equation.

What scares me is that studios will not adopt an HD-DVD format or another equivelent format that allows ownership on physical media wih no strings attached. Why should they if they can trap people into a PPV model?

Personally, I would rather stick with the format that allows ownership without the strings of a DIVX like system attached, even if the quality is not as good.

3. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

There have been numerous articles in the past about crap like this, but none of it will come true for awhile anyway. The reason? There isn't enough bandwidth to do this, its way too cost prohibitive.... Remember, we were supposd to have access to "dvd quality" movies streamed to us for a couple years, but all we have are trailors in quicktime and the like. Even with mpeg 4 compression, there are still too many hurdles to climb for this to become a reality anytime soon.

4. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I have cable internet, and the chances of me being able to stream a DVD/near DVD quality movie without any hiccups is about 0.1% at any given time during the day or night.

How they expect to offer this kind of service anytime soon, I have no clue. Until bandwidth going in to peoples homes is much, much, much more then what it is now, I don't see anything like this VOD stuff taking off.

5. Al M

Al M Auditioning

I have seven words for ya...
    "Your DVD has performed an illegal operation."
    [​IMG]

6. Paul Newport

Paul Newport Auditioning

"Your DVD has performed an illegal operation." [​IMG]
    If microsoft has anything to do with it... [​IMG]

7. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

Everyone knows the future MAIOCC (Microsoft-AOL-IBM-Oracle-Cisco-CircuitCity) megaconglomerate will provide only the best in high-quality viewing options.
    To play 105 DALMATIONS: THE NEW BREED feature film DVD please follow these easy steps:
    Step 1: Connect to www.msftaolibmoracsicsctcty.com and register your product.
    Step 2: Type the following disc verification code:X094-34353-dg34354-fdgr353-35325-34523454-358935
    Step 3: Verify your identity by swiping your national ID card when you hear the beep.
    Step 4: Please check whether you would you like to donate 5 percent of your purchase price to the MAIOCC research and development fund.
    Step 5: Please fill out our simple 12 page questionaire (Note: This is optional, however, some parts of your disc will not function properly without this data.)
    Step 6: You may now log off our website and remove the 5 strategically placed security stickers located on the surface of your disc.
    Step 7: Enjoy the show
    (Remember: Registration data must be re-entered after a period of 9 days in order for your disc to continue operating. This is for security purposes only and is quite frankly for your own good!)
    Have a nice DVD day!

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    No thank you I think I'll stick with my DVD player in the living room. Thank you very much.[​IMG]

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

This will fail, for the simple reason that higher compression doesn't go with HD. The two concepts are mutually exclusive.

It would be like replacing a six-lane highway with a speed limit of 45, with a two-lane road going 60, and not removing any of the cars. Which one will move traffic better??

Personally, I've yet to see any MPEG-4 that doesn't look like crap, compared to your average DVD. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I doubt it.

I'm willing to pay-to-play, but the quality has to be there. And no one has done that yet.

Todd