What's new

Microsoft Ends development on Sports for X-Box (1 Viewer)

Marc Bax

Second Unit
From the article -

"A separate studio in Utah that develops individual sports games, such as the "Amped" snowboarding title, is not affected by the cuts, she said."

I know this studio also makes Links and they publish Top Spin (which was developed by Power & Magic from Paris) so they're safe. I believe the only games to be completly done away with are NFL Fever, MLB Inside Pitch, NHL Rivals, and NBA Inside Drive all of which sucked anyways so no problems here.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Umm, did I miss something here...

Wasn't this announced months ago?

I guess that news was about them skipping this year.
Now, they are actually laying people off (according to the article)

David Galindo

Screenwriter

Yeah, but it was just for this year. So does that mean games like Rallysport Challenge are cancelled? I hope not :frowning:

Not surprising, but I do hope those affected can find work elsewhere- video game jobs are the hardest to find.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Once you've got experience, it's much, much easier, though competition is still hard. I'd be suprised if any ex-Microsoft developer had too hard a time finding a position if they're willing to move.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
This is really too bad cause I felt they had the best basketball out there. Live is way to arcady (how does a fullout push for steals?) and ESPN just seems horrible(Way too much blocking) In the end I will go with ESPN this year just to support the price tag they have.

Damien

Supporting Actor
too bad why the hell did MS buy the rights to the HH engine if they are going to pull this off. Losing HH and ID is not good since they are the best simulations in their respective sports.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
How many think that this is just an undocumented, under the table, requirement by EA to get them to put their sports games on Live?

*raises hand*

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if it was a requirement by EA, but it was certainly something that MS used in their negoations: "If you release your titles on XBox, we'll give you our sports market share of them."

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
In between EA and ESPN, there's no real market for a third stick/ball sport publisher, especially since they are both now online. How much money can really be made there when you are #3?

The important thing is that the more unique games (tennis, golf, racing, boarding, etc) remain. No big loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks