Microsoft Buys Rare.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronMg, Sep 20, 2002.

1. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

This will be great for the Big M$ -LINK

2. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

Nintendo gets to keep their licences though.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Aaron, there's already a nice big thread discussing it [​IMG]

4. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

6. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

7. Tino D'Voe

Tino D'Voe Agent

This I consider a very stupid move on Nintendo's part. It's giving the main competition a huge boost and sending themselves to their own demise. Way to sell out Nintendo!!!

8. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    ...maybe Nintendo is thinking about making the 'Cube their last console? Maybe becoming a software only company, ala Sega? Wouldn't need to have such a stake in a 3rd party company if you have no dedicated hardware. Thought I read some comments from industry insiders that seemed to hint the big N might be doing just that.

I dunno...

9. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo said that they thought Rare was pretty much not pulling their own weight anymore (they didn't say it like that, but Rare hasn't released a game in a LONG time and hasn't been selling much software).

Nintendo never said they would stop making hardware, they just said that they'd rather make good hardware with amazing games than great hardware with good games. MS and Sony are banking on the future of their consoles, but Nintendo is trying to focus on the future of their games.

Rare was a good developer, but their last game released (Conker) didn't sell very well, despite being really good. Who knows what will happen.

BTW, with a recently released Mario game, StarFox Adventures coming this week, Metroid out in November, and Zelda next February, Nintendo doesn't have much, if anything, to worry about. They also have Resident Evil 0 and 4 (two brand new games) and they're getting some other games, like Wreckless (it'll probably be better than the PS2 version graphically and have all the extra modes the PS2 one will have over the X-Box one), Jedi Knight II, and some of the multi-platform titles like TimeSplitters 2.

All in all, MS is happy they have Rare, Rare is happy they don't have Nintendo breathing down their necks, and Nintendo is happy with how things are going.

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Good post, Morgan. I totally agree.

Nintendo will own the Christmas season (assuming there are no major software delays). I don't think they'll make up too much ground on Sony but Nintendo will certainly win this round.

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Remember when Square split ways with Nintendo and everyone thought that was the end of Nintendo....this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Good score for MS, as Rare is very talented. However I don't think they are going to make or break either company.

13. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

I could've sworn I read somewhere that Rare material accounted for less than 1% of Nintendo game sales in the 2001 fiscal year (or the past X months, or... something). Anybody have a better memory than I do?

When Perfect Dark Zero went from a Gamecube release title to a late-2004 title, I pretty much lost all hope for Rare. Nintendo first-party games are quite enough to make me happy with my Cube at this point, so I could care less.

14. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I don't think Rare should have much of a problem porting their stuff to Xbox, at least compared to porting to PS2. Hopefully we'll see some good stuff out of them in the not-so-distant future.