Microsoft buying Vivendi?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul h, Jan 22, 2003.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

2. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

If this goes through at the speculated price of 1.5 billion plus, I will seriously begin to question MS' collective sanity--they'd have to move 50-60 million games to start seeing a dime of profit on such a staggering expenditure of cash (and we're not even factoring in inflation).

All that money, essentially, for various high-selling PC franchises with no proven ability to move anything in the console space. And with Spyro and Crash mutilated at the hands of Universal Interactive (minus the amazingly good GBA iterations), that's pretty much what they're getting for their money.

Does MS really think that these games will buy them substantial marketshare at Sony's expense? I find that a bit hard to swallow and humbly submit that MS would be better off spending that money on bulking up their own internal development for, at worst, a third of that money.

But hey, I don't have 40 billion in cash laying around either.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

I know Vivendi has a lot of problems right now. I heard a couple of days ago that they are shopping around their US entertainment holdings like USA and SciFi Channel.

The thing is, the article says MS already bought VUE (should I assume the article meant VUE games and not the entire VUE company?). MS is publicly traded -- surely a $1.5 billion acquisition triggers a reporting requirement? And yet, we've heard nothing.

I wonder what's going on.

-j

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

6. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to figure out if you're being a. sarcastic/humorous or b. insulting.

If it's a: I expect them to be Xbox-only for a period of time--they'd be idiots to do otherwise. They're certainly not forking over that kind of cash to beef up the PC games division...unless they really have lost it.

If it's b: bwahahahahaha...yeah, PC titles will make up for the billion-plus dollar shortfall over twenty or more years--can you say "drop in the bucket" (or, more accurately, ocean)?

Just keep repeating "50-60 million copies" till it all makes sense...

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

They wouldn't get a hold of games like Counter-Strike 2 or Half-Life 2....I'm pretty sure Valve owns them now and seems pretty intent on releasing them by themselves and over Steam.

8. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Yep. Valve is totally independent and Vivendi has no long-term rights to the Half-Life franchise or anything else Valve does.

9. Jeff_S

Jeff_S Agent

I was always more intrigued by the Microsoft buying Sega rumors. Sega games are proven console franchises in a wide-variety of genres that would give Microsoft an impressive range of exclusives (and perhaps some much needed credibility in Japan). It also seems like a natural given Sega and Microsoft's previous relationship (licensing WinCE for the Dreamcast)

Having said that, Blizzard has so far had the Midas touch. I wouldn't doubt that they could produce successful console games as well. And having more exclusive hot titles can never hurt.

10. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I wonder how that would bode for Starcraft:Ghost? Would it become an Xbox-exclusive? Time will tell, I guess. Personally I'm looking forward to that one, but a lot of my SC-loving friends are not, so who knows how big of a draw the game will end up being.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Ugh. I don't like the sound of this.