What's new

Microphone XLR cables (1 Viewer)

DanFP

Auditioning
I am looking into the possibility of using low-cost Microphone XLR cables as balanced interconnects from AVM-20 to Amplifier.

Like the low-cost Microphone XLR cables (LZ-3, 3ft Black Cable XLR-F to XLR-M, $8.00) at this web-site:
http://www.midwestcommunications.com/pa400.html

Can anyone tell me if Microphone XLR cables can be used as balanced interconnects between an Anthem AVM-20 and Amplifier?
Dan

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. As a musician, I buy my mic (XLR) cables from Muscian's Friend. I picked up 8-3' cables for around $30 shipped. Less than half of the cost of one cable from a well known cable company. Specs are the same or better, and quality is outstanding.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
knock yourself out. and if you don't want to go online to musician's friend, then there's probably a Guitar Center near you. why you can even get a premium mic cable made with something like Mogami wire.
FWIW, the following is a nice little spiel on interconnects.
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

DanFP

Auditioning
Thanks (Albert & Chu) for your replies. I find myself 100% in agreement with you about using low-cost Microphone XLR cables as balanced interconnects.

btw> I had also sent an email to Tech Support at Anthem. See quote below for their reply.

So no high-priced interconnects for me. Hello cheap Microphone XLR cables.
Thanks again
Dan
Thanks for your email and support for Anthem
In short, microphone cables would work well as they have been constructed to reduce the possibilities of picking noise especially in long runs...so we have no problems with the use of these cables....happy listening

DanFP

Auditioning
I ended up getting 7 x 3ft Whirlwind MK403's($11.95ea) from Big Time Audio. They are described as a Pro quality mic cable(XLR-M to XLR-F) with 22ga conductors and a high quality braided shield and Neutrik "X" series connectors. Free shipping when purchasing all 7.

I chose these because they use 22ga conductors instead of 24ga conductors. Oh, whirlwindusa.com has a great writeup about the difference between balanced and unbalanced cables:
http://www.whirlwindusa.com/tech01.html

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dan,

Thanks for the info! Those Whirlwind Cables look very nice
and I will need a pair of good M to F XLR's when I get my
new PreAmp so I can wire my Pre to my Behringer in a true
ballanced fashion and these cables look a notch better than
the lower priced pro cables that Musicians Friend carries.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chu,

Okay...

These whirlwind cables feature a true positive integrated
Quasi Shield technology that blocks all RFI. In addition
the cables are pseudo cryogenically treated (Stored in a non
heated warehouse) the pure crystalline structure copper is
treated in such a way as to prevent delamination of the strands
(housed in a jacket). All terminations are made with the best
connectors available in the market today.

Sri

Agent
Dan,
Does Big Time Audio have a website? I would like to get 7 of MC403 as well based on your description. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks