What's new

Microdisplay Durability (1 Viewer)

Jim_Fisher

Auditioning
I was wondering what are peoples experience with Micro-displays. It seems that DLP is very mechanical and could be prone to a lot of repairs. First there are the mirrors moving, then the color wheel spinning. New features such as the moving aperture to improve black levels and the wobulation seems to add even more mechanical points to break. Have LCD and Lcos had any problems with pixels dying? Does anybody have any repair records of the DLP, LCD and Lcos technologies? Thanks.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The first Lcos to hit the market was the Toshiba (IIRC) that lasted about nine months before they pulled it and then was the Phillips which also was abandoned in a very short order. JVC seems to have the record (so far) for at least keeping the product operational and on the market. Whether there are any service issues I can't say, but if I was interested in purchasing one I'd look up authorized repair centers on their web page and give them a call and ask.

Mort

James Phung

Second Unit
LCDs suffer from panel degradation, some people say lcds last about 2 years before the blue polarizer gives out. DLPs are sealed and TI quality control does a good job in catching dead mirrors before sending out the chips to manufacturers (I've got a bad dmd chip that TI gives out as a souvenir). I've seen reported in the forums few cases of stuck mirrors, in most cases the manufacturer replaced it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks