Micro, small, large setting for speakers..help..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raceen, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Raceen

Raceen Agent

I have a sony reciever str-de445 and when setting up my HT speakers, it asks it gives me three options:

Large, Micro or Small.

I've searched on this forum and found that Small is best, but what about Micro? My current speaker are Yamaha's and are all the same size (about 12x5 inches).

Also, the front left and right channels are wired throught the subwoofer. Does this have an impact on how I set it up?

Ugh...confused...

-Raceen

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

The speakers that are run through the sub will use the sub's cross-over. The micro, small, large has nothing to do with size, it has to do with a speakers frequency response. Generally small is best unless you have towers that are able to go low (>40hz)

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

If I hear you right, you have the speaker wire for the main left and right speaker connections on the receiver going to the sub and then out from the sub to the speakers?

That's Dolby digital receiver, right?

If so, then select large for the front pair at least. Then select 'no sub' for the bass management. That way the receiver will re-channel the .1 track out the main left and right speaker outputs to the sub.

Experiment between small and large on the centre and rears to see what sounds best to you.

4. Raceen

Raceen Agent

Marc,

You read correctly. It is also a dolby digital reciever. Ok, so I am going to set all speakers to small EXCEPT the front left and right...which will be set to large. Then on my reciever, I will turn the sub option off on the reciever.

hmmm, I guess trial and error will tell. Thanks for the help!

-Raceen

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Raceen, you're not headed in the right direction. Do your front speakers handle the bulk of the frequency range? What kind of speakers do you have. And is your subwoofer powered or passive?

6. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

If you are wiring the front speakers through the sub, that is front left and right outputs to the sub, and then from the sub to the actual front speakers you can get away with what you are doing. In this case, you would set your front speakers to large, and sub to off. That way all bass information will be routed to the sub via the front outputs on your receiver. What you will want to look for is either a high pass or low pass filter on your sub. This will act as the crossover between your front speakers and your sub. Also, if this is how you are going to wire it you won't want to use the "sub out" on your receiver in addition to the way you have it. You probably realize that, but just making sure.

If your speakers are satellites, not capable of reproducing low frequencies at all, then by all means set the rears and center to micro. In this situation all the bass for those channels will be routed to your sub. Generally frequencies below 150hz.

If your speakers are capable of playing frequencies in the plus 100hz range, I'd recommend setting them to small. You may get better midrange response this way as opposed to the micro setting. Experiment and see what sounds best to you.

It's unlikely your speakers are capable of reproducing bass all that convincingly so I would definetly avoid the "large" speaker setting altogether, except of course in the situation with your front left and right speakers.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your setup.

7. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

If you are wiring the front speakers through the sub, that is front left and right outputs to the sub, and then from the sub to the actual front speakers you can get away with what you are doing. In this case, you would set your front speakers to large, and sub to off. That way all bass information will be routed to the sub via the front outputs on your receiver. What you will want to look for is either a high pass or low pass filter on your sub. This will act as the crossover between your front speakers and your sub. Also, if this is how you are going to wire it you won't want to use the "sub out" on your receiver in addition to the way you have it. You probably realize that, but just making sure.

If your speakers are satellites, not capable of reproducing low frequencies at all, then by all means set the rears and center to micro. In this situation all the bass for those channels will be routed to your sub.

If your speakers are capable of playing frequencies in the plus 100hz range, I'd recommend setting them to small. You may get better midrange response this way as opposed to the micro setting. Experiment and see what sounds best to you.

It's unlikely your speakers are capable of reproducing bass all that convincingly so I would definetly avoid the "large" speaker setting altogether, except of course in the situation with your front left and right speakers.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your setup.

8. Raceen

Raceen Agent

Wow, ok, I feel slightly less stupid than a few days ago, but still confused.
    My reciever is a Sony STR-DE445 - Dolby Digital etc.
    Speaker package is a Yamaha 5 speaker satellite package:
    http://www.yamahashoponline.com/product.asp?sku=2224837
    Sub is also a Yamaha (shown in link).
    I'm not sure is the sub is passive or powered. It plugs into the wall. Is that powered? I would assume so.
    The frequency response of all the speakers is 55Hz-22kHz. Therefore, according to EricSm's informative write-up, it falls below the 100hz cut-off, so I set them all to small...except the front-left and front-right?
    I apologize for not picking up on this quickly and appreciate your time helping me....

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your sub is powered, Raceen. And your satellites are small (meaning that they cannot reproduce the lower octaves). So set your front and rear speakers (left and right, both sides) to "small."