Mickey's Three Musketeers any reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by derek, Aug 19, 2004.

1. derek

derek Second Unit

Thinking about picking up this direct-to-video DVD for the kids wondering if anyone has seen reviews or has personal feedback? Thanks!

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

3. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
  4. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

When looking for reviews, always be sure to check out DVD-Basen. There were three reviews for this disc as of yesterday. It's one of the best DVD resources I know it.

5. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

Well, if I can put in my review here... I enjoyed it quite a bit, and although I don't fit their target demo (25 yo male, no children) I am a bit of a Disney dweeb. It was well animated, cute & sweet, funny without betraying the characters original personalities (it wasn't trying to be Shrek) and the pq and sound were quite good for DTV.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Thanks for your reviews gentelmen.
    You have just made The Mouse money.

8. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

Anyone else here absolutely HATE the fast play feature?

If you do, make sure you take the survey at
    http://www.fastplaysurvey.com

I, for one, always want to use the DTS track for example, so fast play is essentially useless to me, even though I do sort of find the idea of being able to just sit through the bonus features nice. Maybe they should just implement PLAY ALL in all their bonus feature menus already! (argh sore point with some of this Disney stuff LoL)

9. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Well, from what I understand, FastPlay doesn't play all the bonus features, just a select few. Regardless, it does give you a choice to go to the menu right away, skipping even the previews at the beginning.

10. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

You're not alone. I find it to be completly useless. In the 70 minutes it take my kids to watch the movie, what's another 20 seconds of my time to hit Play at the main menu (which pops up immediately if you bypass FastPlay)? It's not like the standard navigation forces you to manually select each chapter or anything. I wish they'd spend their money on something more useful.

Most Useless Feature Ever!

11. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

I will add one plus for the FastPlay it is good for the In Car DVD players. It is nice when it just starts to play when you pop in the disc without further interaction. I wonder if that is why Disney created it.

12. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

I would imagine the MiniVan market is huge for Disney. [​IMG]

13. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Ok, silly question: What is FastPlay?

14. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

FastPlay tries to eliminate the need for menus and a remote when watching a DVD, it turns it into a VHS by automatically playing previews, the movie, and then "select" bonus material.

Also, does anyone here regularly read Jim Hill's website? He's a great source for Disney rumours and such. He's got a great article up about WalMart's impact on Disney's DVD business, and how movies that do less than $100 mil B.O. don't get any advertising/shelf space in WalMarts, so it's better to go Direct to Video. Really interesting how much clout one store can have, makes me realize why there is so much furor about Foolscreen and such in the HT community!

Here's the article...

Jim Hill Media

15. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Yeah, I caught the Hill article. Intersting take on the decision-making.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That Hill article is extremely interesting.

A quick plug. Anyone who is interested in this title can print up a coupon I posted for $3 off over in Coupons and Bargains. And, I reported in this week's Weekly RoundUp of new release prices that Wal-Mart seems to be holding its price on The Three Musketeers. My local store still has it on sale at $15.xx. A caveat is that Wal-Mart engages in regional pricing practices so YMMV.

17. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

The WalMart in North Brunswick, NJ it's 19.99, same as in BestBuy [​IMG] And I missed the coupon, too! D'oh!

18. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"But that wasn't going to happen if Walmart wasn't to give "Back to Neverland" the shelf space & the promotion that this picture deserved. And -- sure enough -- this "Peter Pan" sequel DID wind up being a real disappointment to the Walt Disney Company. This video premiere never even came close to earning what the Mouse's accountants had predicted the picture (once it came out on DVD & VHS, that is) would eventually earn."

The cheapquel to Peter Pan didn't sell well on home video and people are blaming shelf space at WalMart? Is WalMart also to blame for the $48 million box office take? Or is the poor reputation of the Disney cheapquels the real culprit here? Sure, back in the day, a Lion King 2 and an Aladdin 3 could sell boffo units, but after a deluge of low-budget cheapquels aimed at toddlers, the thought of a low-budget cheapquel to Peter Pan was depressing in the extreme. I think Jungle Book 2 did even worse than Peter Pan 2. Blaming WalMart is classic Eisner-era scapegoating. Never accept responsibility for losing market share -- always have someone or something else to blame. Your animated movies aren't performing? Not our fault! Audiences don't like hand-drawn features anymore, they only like CGI! It isn't because we can't write a good movie or attract top talent, nope. It's the technology. Cheapquels not selling well anymore? It can't be because of their reputation, no, it must be because of WalMart.

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Go, Ernest! [​IMG]