Mickelson wins the Masters

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

It was an exciting back nine.

It was nice to see the much maligned Michelson finally take home a Major.

(Admin note - correct spelling of Mickelson's name in the thread title, it's the least we can do for the ol' lefty.)

2. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Congrats to Phil. I'm not a golf fan but I was familiar with his lack of major championships. Knowing he was tied for the lead after round 3, I kept the real-time leaderboard up on my comp and was checking it occasionally, and when I saw he was 1 stroke back on the 16th, I turned to CBS and watched the last half hour or so of the tournament (the most golf I've ever watched at one time). It felt good to see him birdie on 18 for the green jacket.

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Finally, after all these years! Congrats Phil!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Good job, Phil Mickleson, you DESERVE IT! KJ Choi was great, though. And Ernie's always tough. The best Masters imaginable without Tiger.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Augusta's back 9 gave up so many strokes, it was nuts seeing 3 eagles, and then a pair of hole-in-ones within the span of 10 minutes by Harrington and Triplett. And to cap it off with a charge by Els and then Mickelson coming through in the clutch, it was a Masters to remember. And that makes it 2 lefties in a row to win the green jacket.

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

To win a major with a birdie on 18th is wha it's all about. I alwayed rooted against Lefty but today he won me over (probably because my boy Tiger wasn't in contention!). CONGRATS Mickelson, you did it!!!! [​IMG]

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I know there are lots of Tiger fans (I'm one of them) but glad to see Phil win.

That having been said, I honestly believe until Tiger gets over and gets a swing coach he can listen to (he seems to miss/need Butch more then he may have realized when he terminated him) he's going to struggle. If he keeps up this bit of "I'm just a little bit off" he's going to struggle for a while.

I can think of no one who is their own best coach.

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The last hour or so of the Masters was about as exciting as it gets in golf...... I never watch golf unless I'm at my brothers house and am forced to.... but when surfing and passed by this one, I couldn't change the channel...
    GREAT..........It actually took the place of sunday afternoon sex...... just glad it didn't last THAT long...lol[​IMG]

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It was great to see Mickelson get the major championship monkey off his back. I was really impressed that Phil finally has decided to change his approach to the game and play more conservatively when necessary. Hitting driver on every hole and firing at every pin location will never win a major title. He played smart golf, and was able to overcome some nerves on the front nine to play a great back nine -- birdies on five of the final seven holes. No one will accuse him of backing into the title. Ernie Els made him earn the win.

This will certainly go down as one of the top Masters tourneys, with two of the best players in the game battling throughout the back nine. I do not remember that much excitement and buzz on the final nine in several years.

Friday was very special, too, with Arnold Palmer playing his final round in the tournament after 50 consecutive years at the Masters. It was a very emotional sight as Arnie walked up the 18th fairway for the final time. I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Palmer briefly while volunteering at the Ford Senior Players Championship for several years. No one in professional sports is more gracious, dignified and charming than Arnie. He is a true gentleman and will be missed in competitive golf.

Augusta looked incredible in HDTV, too. The format really shows off the severe elevation changes of the fairways and slopes of the green.

10. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Congrats, Phil.

Monkey's off your back, go win a bunch more and join the all-time greats!

11. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I'm not a huge fan of watching golf, but that was great fun to watch on Sunday. Probably the most I've watched golf on tv in one sitting. Congrats Mickelson.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's been reported that Mickelson's wife Amy has said that Phil has been wearing his green Masters jacket night and day, he's been sleeping in it. Phil showed up on the Tonight Show with Leno, and Phil was wearing the green jacket. Phil was asked about the scare he and his wife had when his son was born last year and didn't breath for 7 minutes after being born, but he pulled through, and during the delivery, Amy ruptured an artery, but she also pulled through, but it was a scary low point for him, and now, a year later, all is good with his world: a wonderful wife, 3 kids, and now a Masters championship.

And then if you pan to Phil's right, there sat Rebecca Romjin-Stamos who is getting a divorce from Uncle Jessie (John Stamos). The contrast between the 2 states of marriage wouldn't be greater in that situation.

13. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I love it. We had some family over (all were golf fans and some golfers) to watch in HD and we all jumped up screaming when he made that putt like it was a last second 3 point shot or something. I'm sure the neighbors thought we were crazy.

I also think it is funny how the same announcers who cracked on Phil for going for it too much were cracking on him for being too conservative during Sunday's round, then whe he won, they all but gave him the Grand Slam.