Michigan puts a fine on selling M games to minors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morgan Jolley, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...907789,00.html
    The sole reason I don't like this is because it makes it look like the problem originates in the videogame industry, when it's really the retailers who are breaking the "rules."
    Doesn't really matter for me, I just turned 17 in October. Maybe this law will fix the problem and then they'll repeal it (though I doubt it).

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Good... I am glad someone finally put some legislation on the board. Now let's see if they can enforce it [​IMG]
    More laws like this and Lieberman will have nothing to bitch about [​IMG] awww

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I don't know, Morgan, it seems to be squarely aimed at the retailers. Personally, I've no problem with legislation to enforce the *voluntary* ratings on retailers - retailers are the weak link in the chain. I know that's not a popular opinion over here in the US, and I've had arguments about it on here before, but that's by the by. Self legislation is definitely the way to go if possible, but if retailers don't enforce it, then there's bugger all the industry can do.

There's similiar laws in the UK, though they're nowhere near as enforced as they should be.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I agree that the government should step in if something isn't being done about this, but what I think might happen is people will start to focus on which games would be affected by this and that would make it seem like the videogame industry is making these games that are so bad that the government has to step in. Hopefully, that won't happen.

I personally don't mind the government saying "if you don't obey your own rules, we'll give you some pretty good incentive to do so."

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Blah, I say they're being pricks. What 15 or 16 year old can't tell the difference between real and make believe? If they're going to do it, they should at least knock a few years off the age limit. I'm glad I didn't have to grow up with this type of garbage going on.

6. Michael St. Clair

This creates more excuses for parents to not be actively involved in what is going on with their children's recreational activities. This is what many bad, lazy parents want; the ability to have their children run around with excess cash and to trust somebody else to make the tough decisions.

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

All this does is force the kids with parents that don't care to get them to go and buy the M rated games. The kids with parents that DO care, don't usually end up getting them in the first place.

8. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

This makes 0 sense. Unless your kid is drug dealing in school, no kid 0-14 years old can have access to money unless there parents supply them. Afterwards, if they can handle a job, they can handle a freaking game. There is nothing real going on in these games, they are for fun. I see how this works for cigarettes, but for an entertainment media that is harmless...pretty dumb if you ask me

9. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Note the idiots of the world that constantly imitate the television show "Jackass"--if media has no effect on certain individuals actions, then I'd like that explained to me. After all, these clowns wouldn't be pulling off these outrageous stunts (and, subsequently, have their surviving friends state that they saw it on/were imitating "Jackass") if the show didn't exist.
    Note: I'm not looking to get into a flame war about how people aren't susceptible, in a negative way, to certain media. Cleary people are influenced (even though they are the vast minority)--if that makes it so a 15 year old can't run out and buy a copy of GTA:VC without his parent's permission, I won't lose much sleep over it (I'd imagine that lazy parents don't even have a clue what it is their kids are playing in most cases and some might just be appalled enough to say 'wtf?!' if they were forced to do the purchasing).

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I was reading a book for an English project about videogames and in one section, they said that if someone is going to do something stupid, a movie, TV show, videogame, or whatever media is not going to make them do it, but they might derive influence from it. That kid who tried to jump over the car, like in Jackass, was stupid enough to try something like that. He could have just as well gotten a dumb idea from something else and have done that. Just because they did it on Jackass doesn't mean that they're solely responsible for him doing it.

The same can be applied to Columbine. They kids played Doom and wore coats like in the Matrix, but those two things didn't make them kill people.

11. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

This doesn't surprise me at all. Last week in 'Video Business' (a trade magazine) there was an article about how Joe Lieberman gave the game industry an "F" in regards to their rating system.

It seems like Lieberman is upset that game developers and publishers produce 'M' rated games in the first place, but since they are playing by the rules and voluntarily allowing their games to be rated, there's not much he can do. So, instead he'll go after retailers to tell them to stop selling these games to children.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

13. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

14. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I just did a project for my English class on this subject. I found a website that is really good for information about violent video games. http://www.idsa.com/IDSAfinal.pdf. It is a report put out by the IDSA, and it is a very interesting read. Check it out.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

17. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

20. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor