What's new

Michel Legrand 1932-2019 (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Oscar winner composer Michel Legrand has passed away at his home in Paris. Won three Oscar's and five Grammys and recently did the score to Orson Welles's The Other Side of the Wind.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite film composers ever. His music for the films of Jacques Demy are glorious! His melodies for Yentl soar! What a musical legacy he has left us. Hard to choose a favorite film score so I won't even try. RIP Maestro!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Thomas Crown Affair, Ice Station Zebra, The Go-Between, Summer of '42, Lady Sings the Blues, Yentl, Never Say Never Again, the list goes on and on and on.

atcolomb said:
Won three Oscar's and five Grammys and recently did the score to Orson Welles's The Other Side of the Wind.
That project came together just in the nick of time, then, because his score was crucial to the success of the final project. It was a small miracle to have that continuity between F for Fake and The Other Side of the Wind, with all of those years intervening.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The Thomas Crown Affair, Ice Station Zebra, The Go-Between, Summer of '42, Lady Sings the Blues, Yentl, Never Say Never Again, the list goes on and on and on.

That project came together just in the nick of time, then, because his score was crucial to the success of the final project. It was a small miracle to have that continuity between F for Fake and The Other Side of the Wind, with all of those years intervening.
Saw Other Side of the Wind on Netflix and it's a good score. According to website Wellesnet there are plans for a soundtrack release.

Reactions: PMF

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Like someone else whose name escapes me, because of Legrand's ICE STATION ZEBRA score, I could watch that movie again, and again, and again......

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
One of my favorite film composers ever. His music for the films of Jacques Demy are glorious! His melodies for Yentl soar! What a musical legacy he has left us. Hard to choose a favorite film score so I won't even try. RIP Maestro!
"ever" Thomas T? Did you really say "ever"? I, myself, might have shot for all caps; as in EVER.

My introduction to Mr. Legrand's genius began at an early age with his indelible and haunting theme from "Summer of '42".

In light of it now being just 9 days after the passing of Nick Redman, I find myself thinking about his isolated scores and the many TT titles that were inclusive of Michel Legrand's works; including "Yentl", "The Happy Ending", "The Other Side of Midnight" and "Wuthering Hieghts" (1970).

Two contrasting legacies of music and music recordings in one;
as I am certain that the TT accesses and availability to these 4 Michel Legrand scores were not coincidental.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks