What's new

Micheal Kamen dead at 55 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=3847558

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar-nominated composer, conductor and arranger Michael Kamen, 55, one of Hollywood's most sought-after composers, has died after suffering from multiple sclerosis for several years, his agent said.
Further details of his death on Tuesday morning were not immediately available.

Kamen, one of Hollywood's most successful composers who worked on music for the "Lethal Weapon" series and scored "Die Hard" among many other films, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1996, but did not go public about the disease until late September.

Multiple sclerosis is an inflammatory disease of the central nervous system that causes various disabilities.

Kamen grew up in Queens, the son of liberal activists.

In the late 1960s, he helped found the New York Rock 'n' Roll Ensemble. In the 1970s, he scored ballets, served as musical director for David Bowie's "Diamond Dogs" tour and began writing scores for film.

Although he began in Hollywood working on offbeat films like "Polyester" and "Brazil", he turned more mainstream in the 1980s, working on the "Lethal Weapon" series, "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves", "Mr. Holland's Opus" and "X-Men", plus the HBO series "Band of Brothers".

truly sad news indeed. His best work was for Edge of Darkness, a bbc series in the 1980s

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I hate the sinking feeling I get when I first hear about stuff like this. He will be missed. Rest in peace. :frowning:

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Oh, man. I have loved his "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" soundtrack since day one, particularly those tracks that used authentic period instruments, such as the forest/stream fight sequence between Robin and Little John. The intro to that track on the CD is completely remarkable.

For myself who often remembers the music to a movie more than the movie itself, this is sad news indeed regarding one of my favorite composers. :frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Sheet! No! I've always been a huge fan of film music, and Michael Kamen did some great scores for Brazil, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Baron Munchausen, Highlander etc. He left us too soon... terrible news.

RIP :frowning:

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
While I wasn't a huge fan of his work, he did have a few scores that I really admired. Recently the Band of Brothers score sticks in my mind. A sad day. :frowning: RIP.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Pity - I love his score for Brazil, and his score for Edge of Darkness with Clapton was incredible (is there a CD available anywhere?).

He was a good composer.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Another shocker. While I'm not that familiar with his work, I'm a huge fan of film music and it's always sad to lose another composer. May he rest in peace.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Very sad. I loved his work on Band of Brothers and From the Earth to the Moon. :frowning:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just saw Brazil for the first time Saturday, and the score was one of the things that stood out. What a suprising and horrible loss. They're dying younger and younger, too.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
What?!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:frowning:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This is shaping up to be one of the shittiest years ever. The low point for me would have to be the passing away of Mr. Rogers.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Kamen will always be remembered by me each time I watch one of my favorite films, Brazil. He was a great composer and it's a shame that he had to die so young!

RIP Mike! :frowning:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
This is horrible, so very sad and shocking.

I was just rejoicing after hearing about his latest collaboration with Kate Bush:

Kate Bush album sessions

Michael Kamen wrote the string arrangements which will appear on Kate Bush's forthcoming album. LMO recorded the two tracks at Abbey Road Studio 2 on Saturday 11th October.

Michael Kamen has collaborated with Kate Bush on numerous occasions, including writing string arrangements for her last album which LMO performed. They worked together in the mid 80s on the soundtrack for the Terry Gilliam film "Brazil" and a version of the title track appears on Michael's album "Michael Kamen's Opus".

Michael Kamen conducted the 16-piece string section and the engineer was Simon Rhodes.
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks