What's new

Michael Vick gone for 6 weeks... (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
some fantasy football seasons already drafted
A perfect example of why not to draft until the preseason games are completed.

We always draft after the final preseason game. I never understood the rush to draft before then.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Just when things were looking up for the DBs :frowning: :frowning:

Recover soon Mike! Atlanta needs you.

Chris (who was really looking forward to seeing Vick and Price team up)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
At least it's not the whole season. I was watching the game when it happen and couldn't believe it. Hope he recovers 100% in those 6 weeks.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Ouch, it's just horrible to see something like this happen in the preseason. You obviously never want ANY of your players to get hurt, but to have a guy so incredibly essential to your team like Mike Vick go down in an exhibition really hurts. Thankfully he'll only miss the first month or so of the regular season so it's not an unmitigated disaster at least. As a football fan here's hoping he recovers to 100% as soon as possible.

In other football news, I finally got my HDTV set up about a week or so ago, and the two Hi Def Preseason games I've caught on ESPNHD have been absolutely stunning to see. I dread having to watch non-HD Patriots games this season. :)

Lowell

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Um. That's all I have to say. Shame on him for scrambling in preseason (preseason is BS!). Preseason is such bullshit for offense, but all those morons on defense are trying to prove themselves to get signed and think the only way to do that is play like it's the 4th quarter of the superbowl. He should have thrown it or done 100 things.

Living in Atlanta this is a big upset. He will miss about 5 games at least.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Might not be as bad as it seems. The other team may not play as hard against a backup QB, or the backup may play like a champion. Look what happened to the Rams last year when Warner broke his pinkie, Bulger came in and the Rams won 5 straight...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Our fantasy draft is next weekend, so the biggest impact of his injury is that there is one less stud player to choose from. I pick 12th and 13th, and was hoping someone would take Vick in front of me to let another quality RB fall to me.

Considering that Vick's greatest asset is his running ability, this injury could hamper him all season, even though reports are that he will only be out approximately 6 weeks. McNab had a similar injury last season, and he did not scramble much after he returned.

If the injury affects Vick in a similar manner, he will not be a very good fantasy option for the entire season.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Steve,
Those "morons" on defense were the Baltimore FIRST team, which had been schooling Vick from the get-go. I doubt they were trying to make the team. They were doing their job. Shame on them for playing the only way a professional should :D HARD.

Vick still seems to have trouble with fast defenses. TB worked him last year in both games. And much like Randall, Vick will not help the Falcs get to a SB until he can completely win with his arm. Playoff defenses are too good.

All of that said, this is a blow to the NFL almost as much as Atlanta. It's no secret that the league has been pumping Vick as it's own cover boy, the most exciting player in sports (which, frankly, he is). But he'll be back, and he'll be fine.

Supposedly, Doug Johnson is decent. Ask Keith Brooking...he'll tell you Johnson is SO good he could start for ANY team in the league ;)

Hope Vick heals soon,
Chuck

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
At least it's not the whole season. I was watching the game when it happen and couldn't believe it. Hope he recovers 100% in those 6 weeks.
Isn't this the same injury Donovan McNabb suffered last season? McNabb only came back so soon because of the playoffs. I believe he was out 6 weeks but it should have been a couple more.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Baltimore's defense, last year they held Vick to -5 rushing yards, the only defense to make him lose yardage all year.:D I guess you only hear about the Bucs dominating him all the time because they actually won the games in which they shut him down.:frowning:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think you hear about them because

1) they are in the same division, so they play them twice

2) the Bucs knocked him out of a game

3) Vick hype went through the roof right before their second meeting, and everyone was anointing Mike Vick as SB MVP/greatest QB evA, as Vick was saying the TB game would really showcase him...right before they rocked his ass again.

I like Vick. He's tremendously exciting. But too many "experts" (not fans, like us, but people PAID to know the game) are being blinded by that excitement into making Atlanta better than they are. Once the Falcs can beat the Bucs, then talk about the winning the division...THEN talk about the SB.

On an unrelated note, I expect the Ravens to have one of the top defenses again this year. Can't wait to watch them.

Take care,
Chuck

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I predict that in coming years, the NFL will either completely do away with preseason games, or have only two while making the regular season 18 games.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The NFL will do whatever serves the financial interest of the league. Making the season longer might be met with very unpleasant opposition from the players. Shortening the preseason means losing money. They'll look after the $$$ for sure.

Steve, as a longtime Cowboys fan living in Washington, DC, I feel your pain. I hear about the Ball Coach all the time :)

Take care,
Chuck

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Don't shorten the preseason. It's the only way that us Bucs fans without season tickets have a decent chance of actually getting into a game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The preseason could be worse -- they used to play 6 exhibition games before the NFL went to a 16 game schedule. The preseason really dragged on then.

With all the additional offseason mini-camps, the NFL preseason has become nothing more than a way for the teams to charge full price for meaningless games. The league could eliminate the preseason entirely, not add any more regular season games and not lose any competitive quality. The teams would just lose the revenue from forcing season ticket holders to buy tickets to two additional meaningless home games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks