Michael Powell to resign....now what?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Corbin Stirn, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Here's the link....http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._ge/fcc_powell

I'm curious as to what this could mean. There are a lot of controversies about what can be seen or not seen, who or whom is offended affecting what you or I could watch. However, he also had some positive steps....like trying to institute HD signals over the airwaves. Does anyone know about this Kevin Martin and his views? Will be interesting to see what happens.....

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Powell had his good side as well as his bad, but I think the bad far outweighs the good. While he's done a lot to encourage HD, that goodwill is pretty much erased by his acceptance of the Broadcast Flag, particularly because of the HDCP requirement after companies have been making expensive displays with non-HDCP compliant connections for several years now. The indecency issue, in particular the outcry of the few dictating costs both in content and money, has me particularly bothered. His willingness to both deregulate and consolidate media companies is an example of corporations outright control of government.

What do we have to look forward to? Martin voted against Powell on some key issues, including media consolidation, but he's still not who I'd want running the FCC. It really doesn't matter, though, since Congress essentially runs the FCC, and the majority that runs all three branches think they have a "mandate" to reshape government controls, morality being a major issue. Considering that the keyword for the new majority seems to be loyalty to the top rather than fealty to the people, I assume the next Chairperson will dance to the song of whatever organization has the loudest voice to the man in control.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Howard Stern will be happy.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Not necessarily. His replacement could be worse.

As for pushing HD, you've got to remember that after the switch, the old frequencies are going to be sold by the feds, to the highest bidders, and they WILL make a small fortune when they do it.

Glenn

5. Michael St. Clair

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

That's what I expect.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Powell (and his fellow commissioners, the FCC is not a dictatorship) enforced the laws Congress enacted, the rules the commmission itself imposes and responded to complaints from the public. In short, he and they did the job they're all paid to do. And in the course of Powell's four year tenure as chairman the commission fined Howard Stern a grand total of two times. (Clearchannel paid the fines and he and they split the increased ad revenues that his martyr act and rising ratings produced.) Now Stern is moving to satellite for more money, not to escape the mythical "censorship" of the FCC.

The next chair of the commission will do about the same, no matter who he or she is. I think some of you are grossly exaggerating Powell's impact, for good and ill, and laughably exaggerating the "chilling effect" of the FCC. They only cover broadcast radio and television. In a world of 500 cable and satellite TV channels and satellite radio what expression is still being "repressed"? Snuff films? Beheadings? What does anybody think Michael Powell "denied" them?

Regards,

Joe

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

He was leaving radio at the end of this year if he didn't get a good deal with Sirius anyways. And there was no way that he'd be signing up with XM. He can't take the insanity anymore.
    The money is a definite bonus, but it's not the main reason. If it was about money, he could be on a premium channel, like those dopes on XM, but he'll just be on a regular channel.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Agreed. Two fines only shows that Stern made sure that he wouldn't get fined again. Think - like getting a speeding ticket.

You have do something wrong to get a fine, but Stern doesn't like the censorship. Again, if you don't like what you are hearing, turn the channel! Is hearing a 'bad' word or two going to turn someone into a mass murderer or something like that?

If a parent has to worry that their children are going to listen to him, then it is already too late. If they had been raised (up to that point) the way the parent wanted, then the chidren wouldn't have any desire to listen to him.

BTW, I have never heard Stern on the radio, I just believe in free speech. The next commissioner could really crack down on everything else that is on the network channels. What if they forced any show with violence or foul language to only be shown after 10 PM? They could rule no guns until 10!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Glenn

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    The FCC's policies are unlikely to change under the current administration. Not making a judgment on them, but since social conservatives are the Bush administration and the Republican's base - and they are the ones appeased by the FCC 'crackdown' - it is likely that the same policies will continue after Powell leaves.

Here's hoping they don't overreach and try to control satellite TV and radio, cable and the Internet. I think the Constitution will have something to say about that.

Personally, I think that for the sake of democracy, media consolidation has to be halted, and in fact, reversed.

10. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

11. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think you guys should refraim from violating the forums rules against political discussion and avoid getting this thread closed.

There are some good points to discuss here, like how the change of guard at the fcc will effect the changeover to hdtv, and that can be talked about without going into political ideologies.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

A very good point that needs to be taken seriously, otherwise, this thread will be closed.

Crawdaddy

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I'd like to see the FCC somehow use Tivo data as a way to measure what content the public wants to watch. By balancing replay requests on Tivos against complaint submissions, they should be able to form a more accurate appraisal of public reaction to programming.

If you look at the complaints submitted, few are from the general public; most are sent by organizations. This form of data gathering is obsolete - fraught with the very political concerns that we must not discuss here - but thanks to Tivo and Tivo-like systems, accurate information could be gathered and that would make the FCC regulatory system much more effective at understanding the public will.

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Why not just use Neilsen data to find out what people want and what they watch? That's a far larger and more representative sample than TiVO users (or other PVR users.) Although why the FCC should care about our personal preferences is beyond me. They're in the business of enforcing published rules. If they get a complaint and find there was a violation of the rules, they take some kind of action. If they find the complaint baseless, they don't. Either way matters of taste, preference, demographics and popularity don't enter into the matter.

Regards,

Joe

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Lately though, the problem has been that the complaints are organized, and they end up getting complaints from people that probably didn't even see the show!

To make it fair, they should make a public announcement that they are getting a large number of complaints over an item, so than un-complainers can call and equalize it.

That doesn't happen, though. Should I call them up every time that a show was good?

You see how stupid that is. If you don't like the show, turn the channel! Having an organized bitching group should be illegal. All it does is to make a big deal out of something that was probably not that important.

What if a group like this decided to crack down on the 8-9 hour slot of prime time? The FCC could get thousands of complaints in and they'd what - tell the network to stop doing that? - - Ok, and if they don't? I can see another round of calls going through the next time that show airs. Comments?

Glenn

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I don’t think that it is that complaints are organized—this has always been the case. For example there were very organized efforts to keep shows like Buffy on the air.

That the FCC decided to use those complaints as a basis for action is the issue. Most organizations and companies pay little heed to internet letters, as they are far too easy to send. IMO, the FCC acted in an election year to take actions that would aid the political process.

If you think that this is unduly cynical, consider the likely FCC response to an organized Internet campaign to allow more broadcast freedom (admiddtly this is a bit of a strawman argument, as there is no real way to determine ahead of time what would really happen).

For me what is really happening is that there is a lot of quality TV that is being shifted to places like HBO (and causing traditional network broadcast TV to lose its clout). I expect that the same will happen with radio—already national figures like Howard Stern (don’t take this as a statement linking Stern with quality) are moving from one means of delivery to another.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Exactly Lew, the problem with the crackdown (real or imaginary) by the FCC is that it just makes talented people go to pay cable so they can make the show they want without any interference.

I mean I can understand some people not wanting certain things on TV but in the end, all's it's going to do is leave broadcast TV with nothing but junk.

18. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Aside from the frightening 1984 image that conjures up, not only is TiVo failing as a business, but that would do nothing but stagnate development of new ideas for shows. Look at what's happened to the reality show craze.

19. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

All I can express is good riddance.

He was the poster child for all the people who are given a job they are not nearly qualified for in the first place.