Michael Mann's "Heat" DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Is it me or does Heat have an awesome soundtrack? The gun fights were so immersive, I was nervous myself (sitting in my comfy leather armchair [​IMG]). Also, the end sequence at the airport - incredible. The trucks, trains, everything just sounded great.
    I really loved this disc. And at the cheap price, I'd have to say its a must buy.
    Pacino was kind of over the top but, hey, that's Pacino.

2. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Heat is a great movie! I have to say that within my modest collection of 45 DVDs that it ranks up there as one of my favorite movies I own. Definite must buy for the movie itself.[​IMG]

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Maybe I should watch it again, but for me, the sound mix on this title didn't quite live up to all of the hype. This is not being offered up as a criticism of the film itself, which is very good and well-presented on disc. I just don't get why so many people consider it demo material for audio. I do like how the guns have signature sounds, but don't know enough about firearms to say if they are accurate.
    Incidentally, my personal favorite gunfight sound mix is the Victory Motel sequence from L.A. Confidential.
    Addendum: Saving Private Ryan was pretty good, too, but they had artillery to work with, so it was not a fair fight. [​IMG]
    Regards,

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

5. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

I bought it yesterday for $9.99 from columbia house. Great deal and great movie.

6. Patrick Larkin

Ken --
    I didn't know people considered Heat reference material! Admittedly, I'm no expert, but it sounded awful realistic to me. And the range is tremendous. Not a movie to watch late at night while people are sleeping!
    The airport scene at the end with the occasional plane flying overhead - DeNiro with the handgun, Pacino with the shotgun. It just sounded REAL.

7. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Realistic is exactly what I would call this soundtrack! The bank robbery shootout had the perfect amount of reverberation and echo when firing weapons within the confines of large city buildings. Decent video, excellent audio, great disc!

8. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

Looked at the disc again recently.

Wasnt thrilled with the picture quality. Am I alone ??

9. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

"Who? Who?? What are you, a f*cking owl??" [​IMG]
    This is one of my favorite soundtracks - awesome use of the surround channels.
    As for the picture - it's good although not great.. but totally adequate in my book.
    And this title badly needs a special edition.. [​IMG]

10. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I agree with Bernhard - this title should definitely be revisited by Warners as a Special Edition. The R2 version doesn't even have the theatrical trailer on!

I do have some reservations about the film. I think Mann completely wasted the opportunity to have DeNiro and Pacino in the same scene. If you look at the scene closely, it's mostly over-the-shoulder shots. There are few shots where they can actually be seen together, and most of the dynamic tension between them is lost because of it.

11. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Heat is a fantastic film and the sound on the DVD is immersing. The shootout is a definate demo.

12. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Love this movie. Two great actors Pacino & De-Niro in one
    movie. The last time they were together was in Godfather II.
    The shootout was really awesome ![​IMG]

13. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

14. Patrick Larkin

I don't understand why a title directed by Michael Mann starring DeNiro and Pacino - with supporting actors such as Ashley Judd, Val Kilmer, Hank Azaria, and Jon Voight would warrant a completely barebones release.

15. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

There is a R3 version with DTS! The problem is that the film is cropped to 1.77:1 Don't ask why [​IMG]
    It's a 2 disc set, first disc is the Dolby Digital version with the picture framed correctly.

16. Gerhard

Gerhard Stunt Coordinator

I think this DVD needs a new transfer and a DTS audio track as it was in the theaters!

17. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

I agree.

The Dolby 5.1 track on the DVD sounds very good!

The transfer looks fine to me, too.

18. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

19. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Heat has an absolute AWESOME soundtrack! I have about 5 movies that I use for my reference discs, to either show off my home theater or when to set up new gear and Heat is definately one of them. The shootout scene in the streets, IMO is the most intense and realistic shootout I have ever seen and is just amazing on a home theater system. I can't tell you how many times I have watched that scene. Not only is the dvd reference quality, the movie itself is great. On my top 10 list of all time!

20. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Also I have read some posts about the picture quality and I think it looks good. Not great, but good. Picture=4 stars, sound=5+++ stars! And with a DD track as good as this one, DTS really isn't neccessary, but it would be kind of cool to make a comparison with.