Michael Mann's comments in EW about Widescreen Programming

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Kikin, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Check out this article from Entertainment Weekly.
    Why is Michael Mann blasting widescreen programming? This is just plain strange and also alarming if it's true.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Daniel,
    i'm one of the biggest supporters of widescreen and OAR that you'll find here, however I can see where he's coming from. If the producers of a tv series see's fit to compose for a wider image, that's great i'm all for it, however I also feel that if someone wishes to compose for 1.33:1 they should be allowed to do so.

First rule of OAR: it's not how wide that matters, it's what you do with the chosen ratio. 1.33:1 can be just as effective as 2.35:1 if it's done right.

I just hope that Mann doesn't compose for 1.33:1 only to have the studio matte it for 1.78:1 anyway when it wasn't intended to be seen that way. I doubt that though, Michael Mann would be pretty pissed if they did I would imagine.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Maybe he's just not a tactful guy [​IMG]
    But it seems that he's claiming that ER, for example, is not framing "like a movie", so it may be a reaction to letterboxing as a gimmick.
    //Ken

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Isn't he the one who says "extras bad!"

I'd take his opinion on the matter with a grain of salt, doesn't he like his movies in OAR?

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    And isn't the reason ER is protecting for Widescreen is the oncoming HDTV syndication (and current brodcasts)?

It seems Mr. Mann (who from ever interview I've ever read from or about him isn't acting out of character with that rant) isn't thinking too far ahead.

However, if he's composed for 1.33 than CBS shouldn't cut off the top and bottoms just to be trendy.

7. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Man, what a jerk. I don't care if he wants to compose for 4:3, and have his show that way, but he flat out slams WIDESCREEN Television, and bashes the concept completely. He's all. "If I wanted to do that, I'd make a F***** movie!" MEOW. If you don't like it, don't do it, but still, don't bash the ones that do.

OAR all the way, even for TELEVISION

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The only reason I'd want widescreen TV programs is so they can be shown in the future in their OAR, and so the audience can get used to the black bars right now. I understand Mann's criticism if he wants to do it in 4:3 and CBS crops it just to be trendy.

/Mike

9. charles white

charles white Second Unit

what do you expect from the man who gave us "Miami Vice"?

10. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

11. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Don't bash the Vice, man! What did Phillip Michael Thomas ever do to you? [​IMG]
    "Why Phillip, you look very tubbsian this evening!"

12. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Michael Mann is not slamming widescreen programming. He's slamming stations for not showing shows in their OAR. Mann says, "I'm storyboarding and framing all the episodes for that three-by-four TV screen." To take his 4:3 compositions and present them as 1.78:1 is just as bad as taking a 1:85 film and presenting it in 4:3. Granted, I probably would have been a bit more tactful than Mann, but he's passionate about OAR. What's so bad about shooting in 4:3 and then wanting it shown that way?

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

But his comments imply that 4:3 == TV, while wider == movie. ER is wide, but not "like a movie", so it is a sham.

//Ken

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

16. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Most people have 4:3 sets, so why wouldn't he frame for his majority audience? Very few people have widescreen sets.

Widescreeners will tout "OAR" all day long for movies, but when it comes to TV they're more than happy to bitch about 4:3 and then stretch it and distort it.

17. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

this is a surprising comment coming from the man that MADE the VHS versions of both Last of the Mohicans and The Insider OAR only!!!(So last of the mohicans eventually went MAR, but it took a long time!)

18. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Like I said, I don't hate 4:3 for TV (I don't even have a widescreen tv yet), but if other people want to film tv shows in widescreen, don't bash them. I'm all for letting him film in 4:3, and the studio should not crop it. But just because he doesn't want to frame for widescreen, doesn't mean he should act like doing so is a stupid idea or something.

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

20. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Then I'd say that you, sir, are a rarity, and a breath of fresh air, and probably one of the few widescreen owners out there who isn't a hypocrite when it comes to OAR preference. [​IMG]
    Anyone can do whatever they want with their TV since it's their TV, but the people who shout, "OAR! OAR!" for movies but not for TV seem a bit silly when they think anyone who wants to watch Harry Potter in 4:3 aspect is a fool who doesn't know any better.