What's new

Michael Mann's Ali: Director's Cut and Das Boot: The Mini Series........June 1st (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Michael Mann's Ali: Director's Cut is due out on June 1st. No extras known yet, other than Anamorphic Widescreen and DD 5.1

Wolfgang Peterson's Das Boot: The Mini-Series will also come out the same day in its full 6-hour version, with a runtime of 293 minutes, over an hour longer than the current director's cut. It will also be spread over 3-discs. No A/V or special features known yet.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, does this mean two separate releases??

Is one the six hour (360min) cut, and is another the 293min cut??

Also - yay about Ali!!! With Heat coming out as a SE, all we need is SE's or Director's Cuts of The Last of the Mohicans and The Insider and I'll be a happy man.

Chris Clark

Agent
I'm incredibly psyched about both of these titles. My main criticism of Ali was that it was covering too many years with a commercial (read: shortened) running time. Let's hope it works.
Sheesh, I recently broke down and bought Das Boot!

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I'm not sure about the Das Boot runtime. I read two different things and the seem to differ. 293 mins is almost 5 hours, but the actual runtime is 6 hours for the full series. Unless the version released in Euope is longer, or the specs I have seen around are mis printed. I'm sure it is an oversight on my part, and it is still 6 hours. We'll have to see. What are other sites saying about it?

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Where did you guys hear about this? Any more info on the Ali and Heat releases?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
If I recall correctly, wasn't the mini series six 45 minute long episodes. That woudl bring the run time to around 270 minutes, which is about 4 and a half hours. The current director's cut is 210 minutes. But from what I am hearing and have been reading, it is the full six hour series, but the run time is 293 minutes. I'm sure when other places and sites fidn out about it, the confusion may be corrected.

Columbia is also releasing an Underworld: Unrated Extended Cut on May 25th, which will haev all the supplements from the first release, plus a new commentary track with director Len Wiseman and actors Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman, a documentary called "Fang vs. Fiction", deleted scenes, trailers, TV spots, three featurettes about "The Look of Underworld"," "Designing Underworld" and "Visual Effects", plus a 16-page design sketchbook and Underworld mini-comic book. This is all in a 2-disc set.

Its only March and shaping up to be one of the best years for DVD releases.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Was anything mentioned in the Warner Chat the other day about Heat? Rumor has it this summer, possibly July sometime, but haven't heard anything for certain.

Phil L

Supporting Actor

They could make me happy by releasing the original cut of Last of the Mohicans.

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
Assuming 6 "blocks" of 45-50 minutes (w/o commercials) for 1-hour broadcasts each, that does add up to 4.5 or 5 hours of actual show in 6 hours of airtime.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator

They said that it would be one of their big releases this year, or more to the point;

"HEAT will be a 2 disc SE. Extras are still in formulation.
We anticipate HEAT to be one of our biggest titles this year."

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Michael Mann's Ali: Director's Cut is due out on June 1st. No extras known yet, other than Anamorphic Widescreen and DD 5.1"

:eek: I had no idea this was coming out

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Das Boot, the six-hour miniseries, is the same as six-hour mini-series in the U.S. 3 nights of 2 hours each, including commercials. So a six-hour miniseries would probably run approximately 5 hours of actual feature time, which would fit just fine with the 293 minute runtime of the Das Boot mini-series.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought the biggest criticism of Ali was that it wasn't edited enough. Maybe it'll be the first Director's Cut to actually be shorter? ;)

In all seriousness, though, I quite like the movie. Just loses focus too often.

Dan

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I'm curious about the AR of the 'Das Boot' Mini Series.

Originally this was just a Mini Series without any plans to release it theatrically and it has always been shown in fullscreen.

I guess that the theatrical release has been matted - so the DVD should be in fullscreen too.

The TV version is the only version I've ever seen - does the theatrical version or the "Director's Cut" (which is a silly name since the TV version is obviously what the director intended) look like it has been matted?

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
"Das Boot" was produced with the intention of being shown both as a mini-series in Germany, and as a shortened theatrical feature in other parts of the world.

I'm not sure if there's any definitive word on the aspect ratio, but my guess would be that it was composed for 1.66:1 and protected for both 1.85:1 and 1.33:1.

The current DVD is presented in 1.85:1 and looks just fine.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, you guys are so cool you can't even answer a simple question. I was wish I was in the know like everyone else, then I could do the same thing. That would be so great.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Pat,

You can find the announcement in the Rumor Mill on DavisDVD (which is a pretty reliable site):

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/rumors.html

And yes, it would be nice if people would post their source when they announce something. Does anyone remember that silly "Disney will only go Pan-and-Scan now" rumor a month ago that basically everyone here treated like it was a fact?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'd gladly buy the the Das Boot mini-series. This would be the first time that I bought the same film three different times.

I was wondering the same thing. It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks